Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 2.0L zetec out of an '02 focus in a rear drive kit car, primarily a race track car. I'm doing considerable telemetry datalogging during races and find that the J1850 PWM is horribly slow to provide any data other than slow changing (like water temp). Throttle pedal or RPM is not even worth logging as the refresh rate is in the 5-10Hz range. I know fewer PIDs logged will move things along a bit faster, but even with just 3 PIDs logged, it's this dog slow.

I tried using several loggers so that doesn't seem to make any difference. I used a cheap OBD bluetooth logger, a high end one, as well as sct xcal2 and 3, all result in about the same refresh.

So think this is a limitation of the ECU itself. My question is, does anyone know of a compatible Ford ECU that runs a faster protocol than J1850 PWM and is compatible with the zetec and the existing 104pin wiring harness?

I thought about going to something like an omex, but i have a pro racer license from sct and figured it would be much cheaper to stick with sct since i already have the full setup. Calling SCT did not net any help, nor did calling ford.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and yeah, I considered going that route as well, just didn't want to add yet another wiring loom for everything as well as the box. Was hoping that I could get away with something that would be easy enough to just pull off of CAN bus and into Harry's Lap Timer for integrating with GPS directly in there and produce video recording and overlays at the same time. I'm pretty sure Race Capture as well as AIM Solo DL and some others can datalog to a format friendly enough to postprocess overlays, but Harry's is just so damn good at doing it all in one place.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have considered standalones, like an omex, aem or even a megasquirt. there are other challenges there, however. one is the entry price combined with the cost of having everything re-tuned for the new ecu - easily pushes a couple of grand. something like a race capture pro at ~500 would blow that away. the other is the pain of rewiring a lot of stuff, bunch of new sensors, harnesses, etc. given that i invested in the sct pro racer package some years ago and am now pretty familiar with it, i think i'd want to stay with a factory ECU if i can help it. on the flipside it's completely possible this little search will arrive at precisely the conclusion that i need a standalone...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
I have no idea what the video's are supposed to show, and I'm not going to waste almost an hour watching them to figure it out.

I think you have to be more specific of what you're after.
So long as "rapid packet" is enabled, SCT is going to be very fast. Enough so that you should have no complaints about speed.

But if this is something to do with adding things to video, then you may want to look at the video software and how it works.

You also have to remember that the data is dependent on the source and destination. An old 386i isn't going to receive the same amount of data as a current i7.

Also, only log the Ford PID's in capitol letters. These will be priority 1 PID's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts