Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the make/model of the oil filter that the '02 SVT comes with from the factory?

The local GoodYear tire shop will do a $12 oil change for me if I supply the oil and filter, but they will only do it if it's the factory filter.

What I'd like to do is just order a case or two of these filters, throw them in the closet, and be done with it.

The local Ford dealer stocks oil filters for the 2002 SVT for 8.87 each, but there is no price break if you order in quantity. I did a little searching online for the same filter, and came up with A6000-133117 as the possible Ford part number. If this is the same one that's on the escape, I could get them here $5.11 a piece.

Also would it be safe to assume that the oil filter the Ford dealer carries is the same type that comes on the car from the factory? Can anyone comment on the quality if the Ford Parts oil filter vs. aftermarket brands?

Up until now, I've been taking my car into Valvoline where they put in 5W-20 synthetic. I have this changed every 3,000 miles, but I drive pretty hard. My plan is to have the GoodYear shop rotate my tires every 3K, and change my oil during the same visit, thus killing the proverbial two birds with one stone.

Also, was curious if anyone goes longer than 3,000mi between oil changes when running synthetic.

·
Registered
434 Posts
read the owner's manual...Motorcraft filter/oil is what's recommended.

The exact filter type listed depends on whether you have a 02-03 SVT or an 04. I buy mine at Wal-Mart for like 4 bucks or less a piece. The 02 SVT filter is the FL-400s, and the 04 is listed as FL-2005 (but you can use either filter)

I always go 5K miles in between oil changes, using Mobil1

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Follow the owner's manual for their oil filter specs. I haven't heard anything from an authority figure at Ford stating the two filters codes are interchangable (and they feature different internal specs). Therefore, my ass is covered if I use the filter code as stated in the manual.

The Ford filters are decent ones, BTW, equivalent to a Purolator Pure One filter. Hard to go wrong there; my Focus after 100,000 still runs like a champ.

Up until recently Wal-Mart stocked the Ford filters; lately they haven't. AutoZone and Advance Auto stocks them though, and the price is about that of the online site.

As for oil, I use Mobil 1 5W-30 quite happily. Nothing changed on the Zetecs since '95 that would dictate the lighter oil (Ford did this to keep from paying fleet gas guzzler fines). If you insist, their 0W-20 is perfectly fine, but a bit harder to find.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Me too. Ford Motorcraft FL-400S filter and Mobil 1 5W-30 SuperSyn synthetic oil every 5000 miles.

If they want the "factory filter" they should be okay if you come in with a Motorcraft one.

On a side note - they gave away some "Ford Racing Oil Filters" this weekend at JetFest. I didn't even know they made those - but it's probably just an excuse for them to double the price of the Motorcraft filter.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Up until now, I've been taking my car into Valvoline where they put in 5W-20 synthetic. I have this changed every 3,000 miles, but I drive pretty hard. My plan is to have the GoodYear shop rotate my tires every 3K, and change my oil during the same visit, thus killing the proverbial two birds with one stone.
Just an FYI but the correct weight oil for the SVTF is 5w-30.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I take my car to the dealer and they charge me $29.95 plus tax and they use synthetic. So I go about 5K in between oil changes. So the oil is 5W-30 not 5W-20
The dealer always used 5W-20 I will have to look into that!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use the FL-2005 and Mobil1 5w-30 every 3-4k miles. Never had any problems. I change it myself, saves that $13 youre spending and takes all of 15 minutes.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I take my car to the dealer and they charge me $29.95 plus tax and they use synthetic. So I go about 5K in between oil changes. So the oil is 5W-30 not 5W-20
The oil weight is in the SVT supplemental manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for oil, I use Mobil 1 5W-30 quite happily. Nothing changed on the Zetecs since '95 that would dictate the lighter oil (Ford did this to keep from paying fleet gas guzzler fines). If you insist, their 0W-20 is perfectly fine, but a bit harder to find.
BeefySVT, I used to change my own oil all the time, but when you live downtown in a building with no parking...you've got your hands full just trying to keep from getting ticketed and towed...much less finding a place to work on your car so you can save ten bucks!

Zoomer69, interesting factoid about Ford's decision to recommend 5W-20 in the original owners manual. Btw where would I get the owners manual supplement? Is that mailed usually mailed to whoever bought the car brand new?

According to Primaris 5W-30 is a more appropriate weight...but is there really any practical difference, unless you live in a climate with extreme weather? I live in San Diego, about as non-extreme as it gets. I'm thinking I should probably choose a synthetic weight based on whatever has the best price.

Also, those of you that go 5K between oil changes...what is your driving style? Are you blasting through all six gears on a regular basis like me? I have a really hard time driving the SVTF without taking hard corners, doing less than 75 on the freeway...zipping around those dumbasses who think they own the passing lane because they're doing 5 over the speed limit. Or just generally driving like an [censored]! haha. Sorry if I'm giving the rest of you a bad name.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Also, those of you that go 5K between oil changes...what is your driving style? Are you blasting through all six gears on a regular basis like me? I have a really hard time driving the SVTF without taking hard corners, doing less than 75 on the freeway...zipping around those dumbasses who think they own the passing lane because they're doing 5 over the speed limit.
Yep. And then some. Only I live in Michigan and 85 is the slow lane.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
The oil weight is in the SVT supplemental manual.
So I checked the owners manual and it does say 5W-30. However I know the dealer always uses 5W-20. Is there a big difference

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I checked the owners manual and it does say 5W-30.
My owners manual, (which I believe is the original that came with my '02) clearly states 5W-20. Does the oil weight recommendation for the SVTF depend on the year of the car's manual?

Here's what I took away from reading Bob the oil guys's page on shearing

"The higher the spread between the bottom number and the top number the more VI improvers are relied on for maintaining the viscosity. Better to keep the numbers closer."

If Bob's right, 5W-20 would be the preferred weight.

·
Registered
457 Posts
There is a SVT supplementary manual which has all the specs for the SVT. There you will find the type of oil and filter the SVT is design for. The only thing different from the 02-04 is the oil filter they have listed. The manual you want to look at has a picture of a Sonic Blue SVT Focus on the front. My manual is for the 02 and it states 5w-30 oil with FL 400s oil filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay, I'm a freakin' idiot..
I must have been looking at the manual for the standard focus. Just got off the phone with the SVT guys to get my production run#...asked him about the oil and he said it's 5W-30 for the SVTF "due to the higher compression ratio" of the the engine.

Btw production# is 2219. Yee-haw!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
So I checked the owners manual and it does say 5W-30.
My owners manual, (which I believe is the original that came with my '02) clearly states 5W-20. Does the oil weight recommendation for the SVTF depend on the year of the car's manual?

Here's what I took away from reading Bob the oil guys's page on shearing

"The higher the spread between the bottom number and the top number the more VI improvers are relied on for maintaining the viscosity. Better to keep the numbers closer."

If Bob's right, 5W-20 would be the preferred weight.
He does state that. But, what I gather is 20 weight is a faster flowing oil than 30 weight. This means it will be squeezed out faster. (from the wear areas)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts