Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. Am I just stupid or is the thermostat housing supposed to have a gasket? I went to Napa and asked to see an o-ring for the thermostat housing. Out of stock, but she said theres a gasket.

I was confused, and she brought one out. I was like, "interesting, when I took out the thermostat housing and the torx bolts there was no gasket..."

Will this gasket help any? It's a gasket for the area where you pull the thermostat out.

Are there different types of O-rings for the thermostat itself? Mines the right size, but it's so rounded that it won't fit into the grooves...

Did Ford make a mistake by not putting gaskets on the thermostat housings?

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Ive never run across a gasket. Only the O ring.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are there different types of o-rings? Ford gave me an o-ring that's too round to fit into the slot that it's supposed to, and my old thermostat housing had an o-ring that was flat...

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
I work at autozone. She probably gave u the water outlet gasket, for the thermostat itself. did it cost 99 cents? I bet thats what it was. Auto parts stores, like autozone, etc, sell universal parts that can work with the vehicles they look up in the computer. For example, they looked up the focus thermostat for u, but it may also fit a buick century, etc. Some need gaskets, some need o-rings.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
every time I go into the part counter they ask me if I want the gasket... the FREAKING FORD DEALER asks if I need the gasket.

THERE IS NO GASKET!!!!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Majikal's post. Yes, it was 99 cents. Since you work at Autozone, can you somehow get a picture of the o-ring that is supposed to go into the grooves of the thermostat?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, just went to Ford and got a print out of the thermostat crap. There's two o-rings and the guy decided to only give me one of them. The one for the thermostat itself...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replaced the t-stat two weeks ago because I wasn't getting any heat. Went and got the water outlet ring which didn't exactly fit, and when I took the housing off a piece of the slot actually came off in my hand. Now, I'm buying a whole damn kit. For about 60 bucks. I love my car. It's seven years old and not quite to 60k miles yet.

So far this has not been as difficult as replacing the PS Pump...

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Hey, he could have done far worse with his inaugural post!

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
could've. seems fishy with the other newbie bumping a 5 year old thread as well. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts