Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am a new member and I did not see anything exactly like my issue. I have acquired an old 2002 Ford Focus with the Zetec 2.0Liter 4 Cylinder. It has High mileage (kilometers) around 290K Kilometers or about 181K miles. I have only owned it for a few years and up until recently it has performed very well. It has been stored for 2 years recently and I am now experiencing some issues.
It would start OK but when the car is cold will oscillate wildly and often stall. Once it got up to temperature it seemed to be OK. I have replaced the Idle Air Control Valve and it appears to have made only a small difference. I cleaned the openings on the side of the Throttle body thoroughly before installing the new one. It was mildly dirty but nothing exceptional. The problem persisted. I ran a scan and noticed that the Throttle Position Sensor was flat lined, so I replaced it as well.
The RPMs are extreme when it is idling and can not be brought down by a quick push of the gas pedal. I have all new Plugs, Brand new Coil, and all new Plug Wires. I recently replaced the EGR valve as well just because it was rusted quite badly. The EGR position sensor was replaced only a few thousand kilometers ago but over two years because of the storage I mentioned.
The car is driveable but I am using much more fuel than before. It is very irritating at stop signs and in heavy traffic, let alone maybe even unsafe.
I have checked the gas tank cover and I have not been able to locate any major 'air leak' in the system. I am not entirely sure how to check properly so any suggestions would be welcome.
I am pleased to be a member of this forum and I can see some very enthusiastic car people. Any help would be much appreciated.
Robert

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you have a big vacuum leak. I would check the rubber hose that goes to the intake manifold for the PCV. You'll see it just behind the coil pack.
I will have a look at that tomorrow. I have been 'off the grid' which is why it took so long for me to reply. Thanks for your reply to my question. I appreciate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts