Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LAKE PLACID, N.Y. — Ford is mainstreaming its SVT performance lineup, making it available to all of its 3,900 U.S. dealers for the first time, Darryl B. Hazel, president of Ford Division told Inside Line.

"We need to do better with performance products," Hazel said. "I recognize the resources that have been made available are such that I don't think we can continue to demand exclusivity from a smaller group of dealers on SVT."

Hazel said the reaction from dealers has been mixed.

"Some think it's a terrific idea," he said. "Some think it's the worst idea they've ever heard."

There are about 600 full-line SVT dealers in the U.S. In 2002, Ford opened up the SVT program to all of its dealers to sell the 2004 SVT Focus; about 800 dealers signed on for that program.

SVT spokesman Alan Hall said not all are expected to sign on to the SVT program because of certification requirements. Although those requirements are still being formulated, they are expected to include special sales and service training for technicians.

The next SVT product due out is the Shelby Cobra GT500, which Ford will begin building as early as next spring. Hazel said it will be priced around $40,000. Volume numbers are still being determined, but Hazel said Cobras traditionally have had a volume of around 7,000 a year.
Story

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
they should stop talking about it and do it!

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
So basically all of those dealers who have sunk in that extra few ten thousands of dollars for an SVT Franchise just got sunk

I'm all for SVT expanding, but someone in marketing just pissed off a lot of their dealers with it.

As for the Canadian side, there hasn't been much word on it. As far as I know, the Shelby Cobra will still be alloted to SVT dealers only.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Well, thats a start,Its a lot easier than driving 70 miles to check out a car. Now I can drive 8 miles to my dealer and buy one Woot-hoot! Now how about some authorised Cosworth dealers ! haha I guess dreaming is still free.

- mike

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
We need to do better with performance products, Hazel said.
No [censored] Sherlock.
My exact thoughts.

Its like ford heard us say something on the internet and decided to say it. Its like so obvious to us but its almost like a big whoa we woke up one morning and had a big idea ! Ford cracks me up .

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
This will definetly boost our dealership !!!
Thank you ford.
For those of us that have been full dealers and doing the support deal. Its a real dissappointment. So some dealers will get a car or two. No one will really get the deal. The support of the track events and club events. Techs will screw the cars up, I know as we make them right after non SVT stores that never work on them ...well try to.

CSI will go down...dealer mark ups will go up.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
CSI will go down...dealer mark ups will go up.
How will mark ups go up with more competition? If one dealership marks up to high, go 20 miles down the road and buy from another dealership.

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
The compition issue is valid if there is a supply of cars. There will not be, this move which was pushed by Ben Poore is only to "polish the Oval" by having flashy fast cars in the showroom

If I have 20 Cobras (our previous allotment) and now get 4 with a list of 100 customers, what do you think will happen.

I have a larger store in my service area that has publicly stated he will put a 25k add sticker on the Gt500. I asked how he will support the client after the purchase (support the local chapter of SVTOA, open track support ect) he stated any idiot can sell these cars

Most stores will get 1 car (production is at 7500 and there are 5000 stores), dont forget you will need to get 5k in special tools for the service department and sent a tech and a service writer to training. The only way to recap that is additional markup on the car.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The compition issue is valid if there is a supply of cars. There will not be, this move which was pushed by Ben Poore is only to "polish the Oval" by having flashy fast cars in the showroom

If I have 20 Cobras (our previous allotment) and now get 4 with a list of 100 customers, what do you think will happen.

I have a larger store in my service area that has publicly stated he will put a 25k add sticker on the Gt500. I asked how he will support the client after the purchase (support the local chapter of SVTOA, open track support ect) he stated any idiot can sell these cars

Most stores will get 1 car (production is at 7500 and there are 5000 stores), dont forget you will need to get 5k in special tools for the service department and sent a tech and a service writer to training. The only way to recap that is additional markup on the car.
Fair enough.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Or just wait a year or 2 and pay $10,000 off list.
That's what I did wth my '03 Cobra.
Talked to a buddy a couple of weeks ago. Blue Ford GT on the floor. Market already saturated on them, apparently.
They haven't had a nibble at $155,000.
One guy made an offer of $158,00. They turned it down. Wait a week and gave the guy a call. He had already found one at list. Ebay today Ford : Ford GT GT 2005 Ford GT - #900 16 $152,600.00
"reserve not met"
If Ford trickles them out like the new Mustang, I guess they could sell all 7,000.

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Our market apparantly is very different. We sold all the SVT products we could get. Even bought 3 12 month old SVTF and sold those. Here the 03 04 Cobras bring a ton of money both as a trade and a resale (pending a very close inspection)Im backed up 5 retail orders on production mustang gts.

Im getting 6 Gt500s and have now 60 asking for it. Our next Ford Gt is one of the Gulf cars. Due to be built I believe tomorrow, for January delivery is presold with a back up deposit.

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
Our market apparantly is very different. We sold all the SVT products we could get. Even bought 3 12 month old SVTF and sold those. Here the 03 04 Cobras bring a ton of money both as a trade and a resale (pending a very close inspection)Im backed up 5 retail orders on production mustang gts.

Im getting 6 Gt500s and have now 60 asking for it. Our next Ford Gt is one of the Gulf cars. Due to be built I believe tomorrow, for January delivery is presold with a back up deposit.
you sir are a beast

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just can't believe they went through with this.

Bad move Ford...

Now, ppl who don't know any better are going to be even MORE pissed at Ford for not fixing their car right, after buying from a dealer who only cares to SELL cars.

Oh well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts