Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
just read that. Chrysler's in on it, too. Of course, neither the GTO nor the Mustang are included, dammit!

I wonder what the eventual fallout from this will be. Could this be the beginning of the end of having to haggle your price on a new car? who knows? now the question is if this will put enough pressure on the imports to follow suit.

Mike

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
No, its the beginning of the end of... resale value!!! LOL!
Sucks for people who just bought a Chrysler, Ford, or GM product a month or two ago.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Some of the official numbers show that GM was only averaging about $300 more per car with the "Employee Discount" pricing program than before, so resale may not drop as bad as expected. They were offering a ton of incentives before, just that this one took off with the consumers. But it still isn't a good thing as resale may drop a tiny bit. For '06 they're going to try a value-pricing model and lower the sticker prices on a lot of cars substantially in an attempt to get away from this big hole they've dug themselves into.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Some of the official numbers show that GM was only averaging about $300 more per car with the "Employee Discount" pricing program than before, so resale may not drop as bad as expected. They were offering a ton of incentives before, just that this one took off with the consumers. But it still isn't a good thing as resale may drop a tiny bit. For '06 they're going to try a value-pricing model and lower the sticker prices on a lot of cars substantially in an attempt to get away from this big hole they've dug themselves into.
I was going to say that, alot of people were getting lower prices through haggling before the employee price program....

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hopefully the deals will be as good as what they had been running. It was possible to get $3500 in rebates on the 2005 Focus...which made it not such a bad deal.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I was going to say that, alot of people were getting lower prices through haggling before the employee price program....
I was actualy just wondering if the employee pricing was negotiable also or if that's their "bottom line"?

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Oh man, I may have to trade in the ol Hemi on a new Turbo Diesel F-250... Wooot, wooot.
Chrysler is set to announce their program tomorrow in case you'd rather stay in a Dodge.

I think this is continued bad news for the Big 3 - short gains like this won't offset their continued losses. I guess if it gets them away from the 0% game that is a good thing. I haven't heard if the financing deals like that are gone though.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I was actualy just wondering if the employee pricing was negotiable also or if that's their "bottom line"?
I saw GM dealers advertising prices below the Employee Pricing price on certain models in the last 2 weeks. I think the purpose of the plan was to offer a no-haggle price, but it does seem like its possible to get a slightly better price....we are talking hundreds of dollars though...not thousands.

·
4,287 Posts
you'd probably be better off asking them to throw in stuff. they're always more willing to do that than just take money off the sticker.

Mike

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
I did get a better price haggling myself vs. using my X-Plan pricing.... I paid $300 under invoice for mine. So unless Ford's pricing is under invoice at this point, then I'm betting you can haggle better.

Of course.... you really gotta know what you're doing in order to get under invoice.

·
4,287 Posts
I did get a better price haggling myself vs. using my X-Plan pricing.... I paid $300 under invoice for mine. So unless Ford's pricing is under invoice at this point, then I'm betting you can haggle better.

Of course.... you really gotta know what you're doing in order to get under invoice.
wanna hand out some tips?

Mike

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

wanna hand out some tips?

Mike
1.) KNOW what you want. Color, Body Style, Options

2.) KNOW What the price is.

3.) KNOW what the rebates/incentives are

4.) KNOW how you're going to pay for it

5.) Solicit bids. Fax the fleet managers at every dealership within 100 miles a letter stating exactly what you're looking for and ask for their best offer. Usually someone who is DYING to get a car off their lot will give you a low price. It probably won't have all the options you want... but you can use that price as leverage against other dealers, and start a bidding war.

Lowest bidder wins. The best price I've gotten anyone was a 2003 Accord 4-cyl Automatic for $1000 under invoice before rebates/incentives. The car had been on the lot a while and they were dying to get it outta there. Granted we had to go 120 miles away to get it... but it was worth it!

6.) Stick to your guns. Sometimes these loballers will screw you with backend stuff. Trying to sell you warranties, floor mats, etc. Read the fine print.... and have a backup financing plan in place. Many times they'll up your interest rate just to make more money off of you. If you bank at a credit union, you can get away with a great rate (however, sometimes incentives such as rebates and/or factory cash are tied to financing through the company... aka Ford Motor Credit etc.... so be on the watch)

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
I think the purpose of the plan was to offer a no-haggle price, but it does seem like its possible to get a slightly better price....we are talking hundreds of dollars though...not thousands.
Yeah, but nothing could be less pleasurable than haggling with ultra-high pressure GM dealer sharks. A shiver went up my spine just thinking about it. I wish all prices would be fixed. Low, like at Walmart, but painless and fixed.

The only thing possibly worse is the opposite side of the spectrum... Houston Momentum BMW's Mini portion of the dealership. Those guys get insulted if you ask them any questions about the Mini and don't know exactly what color and options you want already (didn't you check the website first... gawsh... idiot... sigh).

·
Registered
227 Posts
I shudder to think this was long term thinking by GM. It'd be too unbelievable for the thought to register in my brain. They might be after some short term number like volume or market.

Anyone who's taken a production class will recognize that sometimes a big plant operating at full capacity selling crap no one wants at a loss is more efficient and bleeds money slower than a huge plant at low capacity selling crap no one wants for a small margin. I suspect something like this is going on.

Keep in mind they can't be doing very well with the current prices of steel and oil (on the production side and in sales).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts