Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How good are these intake manifolds? I read somwhere that they need a special 70mm throttlebody, is this correct? any other companies making high flow inlet manifolds?

thanks....tek

·
Registered
745 Posts
CTZX3 has them for sale, he sends them modified for direct bolt on applications for zx3.

otherwise they are a direct bolton for the SVT and they use the 4.6l throttlebody.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not to be picky but what does "Direct Bolt-on" mean....????

Do you still have to Fab/Modify stuff to get it to go on???

Can you use the New 70mm TB from FC(instead of a modified mustang one)???

Thanks

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by iamgod:
CTZX3 has them for sale, he sends them modified for direct bolt on applications for zx3.

otherwise they are a direct bolton for the SVT and they use the 4.6l throttlebody.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">will i be able to use the FC 65mm tb?

.....tek

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does anyone actually have on of these intake manifolds? i'd really like to hear some opinions.

....tek

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have one and I can tell you for certain that it will not fit without modification. Even if you get the manifold "ready to bolt on" you will still have to clearance the alternator bracket. There is a lot of work involved in it. I would up welding extra material to the top of the flange just to have something for the bolts to hold onto.

Here is a picture of what HAS to be done to hte bolt holes to make if work on a regular ZETEC head

Here you can also see the large piece you have to cut on the bottom left side in order to clear the sensonrs on the head

And here is a picture of it on the car. YOu can use the Focus Central throttle body IF you call Focus Central and tell them you need the adapter plate for it.

Just Be warned if you get this manifold. You will be spending more money on it to have it on the car.

[ 12-04-2002, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Tobyboom ]

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Wow that’s the first time i have ever seen that thing on a car! Was there a noticeable power increase?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
according to dynos and research this thing is meant strictly for racing..doesnt make power till past 7000RPM or sumthin like that...

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
the ones I OFFER, are a direct fit bolt on.
they come with the FC throttle body adapter plate for use with the FC throttle body. all the vacume hose fittings are installed. all the flange holes are redrilled, as they are off at different points.

and the option of getting the SVT alternator bracket to lower the alternator for clearance. or you can get your own, there just $27 from Ford.

Chris

[ 12-04-2002, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: CTZX3 ]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Originally posted by FriendlyFocus:
anyone have before/after dynos of this thing?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They are in the 2003 Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog, page 100. Be aware that this intake absolutely kills torque. With a setup the same as mine except for this intake and a shorty header, the FRPP intake makes 25 foot-pounds less torque than I do with the stock intake(horsepower output is similar).

·
Registered
222 Posts
was that 16hp and 2tq over a ported 2000 or a stock?

·
Registered
222 Posts
did you personally dyno that? and if so did it hold the torque curve or did it drop off? did you rev to 7100 or higher?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by DWRacing:
Be aware that this intake absolutely kills torque. [/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well that kinda sucks.... how bout the 2000 ported manifold, how does that compare in #'s (its a $#!+ load cheaper!!!)?

......tek

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Originally posted by redneckZX3:
did you personally dyno that? and if so did it hold the torque curve or did it drop off? did you rev to 7100 or higher?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">comparing the numbers in the 2003 Ford Racing catalog of their test. the intake manifold made 16hp and 2tq

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Why would ford put out something that needed so much modification? I understand that they are usually for custom built apps, but that would require someone to make a head from scratch or mod the hell out of the intake mani.

·
Registered
745 Posts
ok....for everybodys clarification...the Ford Racing Intake Manifold is a DIRECT replacement for the Ford Focus SVT Intake Manifold...this is not a standard zx3 part, but can be MODIFIED to fit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts