·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope it's no a repost.

Ford set to cut more than 12,000 jobs
Chrysler also plans to eliminate several thousand workers

FINANCIAL TIMES
Ford Motor Company is set to cut more than 12,000 jobs worldwide, mostly in the U.S. and Belgium, after persuading labor unions to agree to the closure or sale of four assembly and component plants.
link

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Um, yeah, they just cut 1500 white collar workers yesterday, and 1700 more in Germany.

I was one of them. They just canned a bunch of contract workers. I gave them 4 years of my life, and they gave me 4 hours severance pay. Bastards. The manager who made the cuts was too chicken [censored] to even tell us in person. Stayed in his office the whole morning, our Agency staff gave us the news.

Pretty [censored] way to go. Sitting waiting for "the phone call" for 2 hours, when the manager could have just been man enough to do it himself and spare the agony.

This is the first time Ford has cut product development engineers. It's a bad sign. How are you supposed to have a product led turnaround when there's nobody to design the product? 10%, gone. And they think they're going to accelerate the pace. Yeah, right.

IMHO, Ford's in a death spiral.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
how did you only get 4 hours severence pay? I thought by law they had to give you either 2 months notice or 2 months pay for a layoff that size. minimum. arent you union?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
No, I'm an engineer, and Ford is using the same method of worker exploitation most corporations are now: Contract Workers, Agency, whatever you want to call it.

Got to work at 7:30, waited around to find out if I had a job, 9:30 my grim reaper shows up, and I start to pack up my things, clean out my computer etc. I left at 11:30, they said I could claim 8 hours. No more pay after that. I'm on unemployment insurance (less than half my regular pay) starting today.

4 years, and that's what they give me.

I just bought a new Focus 3 weeks ago too. Nice.

Hey, anybody know if Ford has the 30 day money back guarantee like Saturn? That's would be fun.

A word to the wise: When you get out of school, NEVER take an agency/contract/temp job. Not unless they are paying you at least 50% more than a salary job.

There's no advantage to this, they will never hire you, and you're gone at the drop of a hat with no severance.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Glad that Economy is turning around like the President says!

Sorry Rob...... you'll land on your feet somewhere... you're too bright a guy to have this keep ya down.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
yeah, that contract stuff is terrible. they do that alot here at motorola. hire contract workers and never make them official employees. I wish they would make a law about that. its very wrong and unethical. best of luck to you, I hope you find something soon.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Well, it's not completely the presidents fault. Shortsighted corporations who only care about the next quarter also cause the problems.

The Japanese don't lay off people when the economy is on the downturn. They know that they need to have new product ready when it picks up again. So they keep people working, making new stuff, and then hit the market with new products when it booms. Pick up market share. The American corporations cut staff, and cut back development to save a couple bucks in a quarter, and then have to ramp up again when things pick up, and miss the boom.

Morons.

And yeah, I've been saying this should be illegal too. It's stupid. If somebody is working for your company for more than a year, they are NOT "temporary" employees.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rob, so sorry to here that from you
Sucks, good advice on the temp/agency stuff, don't ever go thru that, the corp only use/abuse then spit you out after a few years, corp don't fell anything for "temps" how's been with them for a few years. They do the same damn thing here at my work, in fact when they had to lay off people, they hired them back when it got busy again but only thru an agency, that way they claim no responsibility when there let go again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts