Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford to begin importing the Euro Focus

Not really But thats what they are going to have do If they want me and alot of us as future Focus buyers.

in case NO has read Focus news lately I was right Ford Is not bring the C1 Focus to the US until 2008 if ever. Yes we could be driving around on the current Focus platform until 2008 or much longer.

Mazda3 Here we come.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Re: Ford to begin importing the Euro Focus

how can they even BEGIN to justify this?

Nail in the coffin, I could ALMOST've waited till 06 in order to drive a c1 badged as a focus, but screw that...mazda it is. SO what the hell now? Everyone already refers to the 3 and the second gen volvo's as Focus-based or built on the focus platform. Why is Bill so damned stupid?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

Whoever runs FORD in Europe should take over the US operation. Stupid [censored]ups.

·
Registered
153 Posts

You got it. Mazda 3, or next-gen Golf look like my choices. Focus is simply not gonna be in the running if this is the case. My opinion of the Ford Motor Company continues to tumble more and more...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

Nothing to me, I was more or less considering a 300zx TT, FD3S, or possibly a 3000gt/stealth as the Focus' replacement, if and when it requires replacing.
But I do agree with the negative sentiment toward Ford here, evidently they don't think the north american market cares about quality.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Whoever runs FORD in Europe should take over the US operation. Stupid [censored]ups.
He did.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts

WTF! figures. the Mazda 3 better come in a 2 door. Looks like i will be gearing up to swap in a 2.3l in my current car.

This also kinda makes send on the rumor front, we get a new car in 2006, the C1 platform comes out in the mazda3 and euro focus on 2004. Why wait 2 more years for the US. dosent make sence. but if the current one get refreshed it does.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts

Hey guys as much as I hate to say this, Ford isn't in the best of shape right now with money. They are looking to save money where they can and this just further reinforces this. The Focus is a low profit vechicle for Ford (in North America) and the longer they keep the current platform in its current Form, the more profits they can make off it. Just look at the Mustang (Same platform from 1979-2004, with a major refreshing in 1994),the Panther Platform (Crown Vic/Town car) and the Ranger platform...all of them are 15+ years old and still sell.

The other thing to consider is....are you really gonna get another Focus? Wouldnt you want something nicer or different as your next car? I used say I would never get rid of the 98 Mustang GT I had, but the thing just got so unconfertable to drive and impractical for everyday use that I got the SVT Focus to replace it. I'm seriously considering getting another Mustang down the road if they make it as confertable as the Focus interior wise and not looking to get settled down or anything, but I'll keep the SVT since its worth about nothing and I'll put 16 inch rims on it to get to work in the snow if I need too. The other car I would consider is an AWD SVT with at least 220HP...but from the way things look that isnt gonna happen any time soon.

·
Registered
426 Posts

I really don't care if they have a major refresh on the current platform. Its a very capable platform as far as I am concerned.

If they need to wait for a whole new Focus that is fine with me. I am sure the launching of the many, many new models (new Mustang, Futura, 500, etc.) is going to be eating up a lot of engineering time. There are only so many engineers to go around.

We all know the current Mustang platform has roots all the way back to the late 70's. I think they are still doing pretty good with it on the 2003 models.

As far as waiting for an AWD SVT Focus, I highly doubt it would go over all that well. Who is going to spend $30,000 + on a Focus? Sure I would love it too but I don't think they could sell it here for very cheap. European markets are willing and I don't think the US market is.

·
Registered
723 Posts

As far as waiting for an AWD SVT Focus, I highly doubt it would go over all that well. Who is going to spend $30,000 + on a Focus?
the same people who would buy a 30K lancer or impreza. if it had at least 280hp there would be people who would buy it.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts

As far as waiting for an AWD SVT Focus, I highly doubt it would go over all that well. Who is going to spend $30,000 + on a Focus?
the same people who would buy a 30K lancer or impreza. if it had at least 280hp there would be people who would buy it.
me

·
Registered
228 Posts

Not sure why we are complaining. After 3 years with the Zetec they've given us a better engine (2.3l). Sounds reasonable to me. Now they just need to replace the Zetec in the SVT with a souped up 2.3l putting out about 190 hp. That would be fine with me. The platform itself is solid.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts

Yeah I don't get it, you guys are upset because you want the Focus to change platforms?

The Focus is lauded for one thing over most, its handling above all other in this market. You want this to change? What's going to be good enough for you?

Sure, give the car more power, bring the RS over to compete with the WRX/STi EVO and SRT-4 but Jeez, look at the BASE models.

The Focus still beats them all. Get this EVO/STi nonsense out of your head for a second and think about the LARGER picture.

I hardly call a car that became the world's best selling small car in 2001 low profit for Ford either.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts

I hardly call a car that became the world's best selling small car in 2001 low profit for Ford either.
I'm going the view of the North American Market. The Focus in Europe fills the role of the Taraus in the North America, and thus is priced higher, thus higher profit. I'm not sure how much money Ford really can make off a striped down Focus LX, but I doubt its much of anything or they break even.

Also another interesting point to bring up is from my readings over at BON and Biker16 posts there...the C1 is just an updated Focus platform, not a whole new platform. I'm sure theres alot of parts or what not shared between the two. Remember...newer always doesnt meet better also.

·
Registered
186 Posts

I will have to agree with what was said before, "do you really want to buy another focus" don't get me wrong the Focus is a hell of a car and I love it, exspecially for the price and the cheap insurance and all the [censored] you can do to them. But really when it does come time for me to buy a new toy, when I get a better job a make more, I think I will be looking towards the evo, wrx, or who knows what will pop up when the focus is paid for. But I know it won't be another Focus, Besides if they brought to the states anyway I am sure they will start subtracting horespower for emissions, it wouldn't be anything like the one over there.
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

Has any manufacturer ever made money on a compact car? If any, not many.. They make cheap/compact cars to sell lots of them, so you see the name on the road more frequently. The profit comes with the Taurus, F150's, Expeditions, Towncars, etc...

·
Registered
228 Posts

Has any manufacturer ever made money on a compact car? If any, not many.. They make cheap/compact cars to sell lots of them, so you see the name on the road more frequently. The profit comes with the Taurus, F150's, Expeditions, Towncars, etc...
Also, I believe the automakers have to attain an certain average MPG for the cars they sell. Small cars like the Focus are used to lower the overall average so they can sell more gas guzzling Excursions. If they made Foci with larger engines consuming more gas they would have to make the Excursions etc. more fuel efficient. And they don't want to do that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts