Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FORD TO BUILD ALL-NEW FUTURA AT HERMOSILLO
The all-new 2006 Ford Futura.

* Ford Motor Company brings its leading-edge flexible manufacturing system to the Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly Plant, in addition to broader plans for an industrial park at the site.
* The mid-size Ford Futura is the foundation vehicle for 10 future Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models in North America and is a key component of the company's product-led revitalization plan.

Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico, Oct. 6, 2003 – The all-new 2006 Ford Futura, a cutting-edge mid-size sedan that continues Ford's aggressive revitalization of its car lineup, will be built at the Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly Plant in Sonora, Mexico, beginning in 2005, the company announced today.

The Futura is the first iteration of a vehicle platform that will form the basis for up to 10 new products and 800,000 units of volume across the Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brands in the next several years. Total program investment, including platform development, will be in the range of $1 billion USD.

Nick Scheele, president and chief operating officer of Ford Motor Company, and Marcos de Oliveira, president and chief executive officer of Ford Motor Company Mexico, together with the President of Mexico, Vicente Fox, and the Governor of the State, Eduardo Bours Castelo, told employees and suppliers about the Hermosillo project, including the expansion of the plant and the construction of an industrial park on site for as many as 19 local suppliers.

The industrial park is for tier one local suppliers who provide Ford with materials and equipment for stamping and assembly operations. In addition, a group of approximately 16 Mexican suppliers will also invest in their facilities, contributing to the economic development of the region and setting a new standard for the industry.

To prepare for the Futura, the plant will install Ford's all-new, next-generation flexible manufacturing system, allowing it to change products and options more quickly to better meet market demand.

"As one of 65 new products Ford will introduce during the next five years in North America, the Ford Futura is an important addition to Ford's remarkable range of new products," said Scheele. "The Hermosillo plant has a reputation as a high-quality, efficient facility, and with the addition of Futura, it will be a leader in flexible manufacturing and supplier innovation."

Production of the all-new Futura, which could add up to 2,000 employees at the plant, will begin in 2005. Hermosillo will have the capability to produce future Lincoln and Mercury models off the Futura platform. The Hermosillo plant will have maximum capacity of 300,000 vehicles, with production levels based on customer demand.

Flexible Production System

Hermosillo will be among many Ford plants to install a next-generation flexible manufacturing system, allowing it to build up to eight different models off two platforms. "Hermosillo will have the ability to change the mix, volume and options of products in response to consumer demand and market segmentation with minimal investment and changeover loss," said Scheele.

During the next decade, Ford expects to save up to $2 billion in North America because its flexible system will cost 10 percent to 15 percent less than traditional systems, with an added 50 percent savings in changeover costs.

Ford Futura

The Ford Futura is aimed at the heart of the mid-size car market boasting world-class I-4 and V-6 engines, and will come with a full range of fuel-efficient, modern transmissions. Futura will feature breakthrough interior spaciousness and many other best-in-class features.

The Futura's architecture is developed from a modified Mazda6 design. Futura will be sold in Mexico, Canada and the United States.

Hermosillo: Automotive Excellence

The Hermosillo plant has a rich history of excellence since it was opened in 1986. "We have a great workforce at Hermosillo. All of us at Ford of Mexico and especially at Hermosillo are honored to be entrusted with building the Ford Futura," said de Oliveira.

The plant has received many accolades, including:

Dec. 2002

President's Global Quality Award FPQI (Ford)

Dec. 2002

Clean Industry Certification (Mexican Department of the Environment)

Sept. 2001

President's Global Health and Safety Award (Ford)

2000-2001

Re-certification to ISO 14000

2000-2001

Re-certification to ISO 9000

June 1997 and Sept. 1988

Customer Driven Quality Award CDQA (Ford)

July 1992

Q1 Award (Ford)

The best automotive plant in the world (Quality) – (MIT)

The Hermosillo plant produces the Focus ZX3, ZX5 and SVT. In 2002, Hermosillo produced 120,388 vehicles, most of which were exported to the United States and Canada.

Ford Motor Company

Ford Motor Company is the world's second-largest automaker, with about 350,000 employees. It has more than 150 plants in 30 countries, and its products are sold in more than 200 countries on the five continents. Its automotive brands include Aston Martin, Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury and Volvo. Related services include Ford Credit, Hertz and Quality Care. Its headquarters are in Dearborn, Michigan. On June 16, 2003, Ford celebrated its 100th anniversary. Ford of Mexico recently celebrated 78 years of operating in Mexico – building plants, assembling automobiles, creating jobs and forming the "Great Ford Family," proud of contributing to and being a part of Mexico. For more information, visit www.ford.com.mx.

Oct. 6, 2003

·
Registered
295 Posts
well free trade is good in concept but sometimes I really worry.

Wouldn't worry as much if the competition was playing on a level playing field. Is the future no enviro protection and just above poverty wages?

·
Registered
228 Posts
well free trade is good in concept but sometimes I really worry.

Wouldn't worry as much if the competition was playing on a level playing field. Is the future no enviro protection and just above poverty wages?
Just above poverty wages? People in Mexico kill for these jobs. They seem pretty happy to have a job that pays 100 times what picking apples does. Level playing field my ass. Who says the USA should be the basis for which other countries should level their playing field. We have stricter environmental laws in Canada so why don't you Americans get with it and tighten up yours to make things fair?

Face it. Anyone with a grade 8 education can assemble a car. Let the Mexicans do it and focus on jobs that require intelligence and that don't pollute, like IT jobs. Otherwise known as "value added" jobs.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
you guys forget how much cheaper it is to live in countries like that. YOu talk about how much tehy make in dollars per day unaware of just how much a dollar can buy in those regions...learn about exchange rates and buying power. PLEASE

·
Registered
383 Posts
you know their is almost no such thing as a american car anymore
the honda civic is about as american as the ford focus , well atleast the civics are assembeled in ohio

·
Registered
48 Posts
Only the ZX3 and ZX5 Focus's are made in Mexico. The sedan and wagon are made in the USA. I would assume that the Focus also has a higher US and Canadian parts content than that of the Civic. So if you look at the whole picture the manufacturing of the Focus employs more American and Canadian workers than the Civic does, but I'm sure that gap is closing.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
where's my pointy white hat again?

*rummages around*

crap...I lost it...Now i have to cut up ANOTHER perfectly good bedsheet.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
No,... most is not based on hatred,but on Americans losing job after job after job! I work at Ford and just had a class CIWG training, and in this class they were talking about foreign sales and how for every million cars they send us we can only send them like 50,000 or something like that! Its ridiculous and everyday more and more of us are losing our jobs! Its pretty pathetic! I understand were these people are coming from! They are all just trying to support a family, like we all are!If we all stick together we can protect our jobs, our childrens jobs, and our country!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts