Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw last night on the news that Ford plans to move Focus production from Mexico to China.

Said that Focus sales (and all small cars) are down 20% in the US, but China (and elsewhere in SE Asia) sales are up. Cost cutting measure, since shipping will be less than from the US to halfway around the world and labor will be even cheaper than in Mexico.

Of course they'll still be shipping some back here for "domestic" sales.

Wonder what that will do for quality?

And would the RS, made in China, still be the same as it is now?

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
A terrible idea. They should keep the Mexico plant for the western hemisphere and build an additional plant in China to supply the east. MOVING production is nothing but stupid. I will lose all interest in the Focus after a bone-head decision like that, and lose additional respect for Ford as a brand.

Trump's going to have another hissy-fit... but who cares what he thinks.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A terrible idea. They should keep the Mexico plant for the western hemisphere and build an additional plant in China to supply the east. MOVING production is nothing but stupid. I will lose all interest in the Focus after a bone-head decision like that, and lose additional respect for Ford as a brand.

Trump's going to have another hissy-fit... but who cares what he thinks.
I hear you!!!

At risk of venturing into political territory...

When I bought my first one (2000 SE sedan) I had done research and found that the ones built in Wayne Michigan had less QC problems than the USA ones.

Still had the usual first gen recalls and such (collapsing front suspension from rusted out mounting points, rear door latches being sufficiently protected from corrosion, only northern climate problems and that heat shield thing under the cat that I scraped pulling out of an unplowed driveway one winter, knocked it partially off and had to have it taken out the next time I got an oil change, would have been better if it had been ripped completely off).

Don't know where my current one (2007 ZX3 S) was made, but so far its been pretty decent as far as build quality (as much as can be told when its a used car with accident history).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Absolutely stupid idea. Bad enough that the production of these small cars are in mexico but china?!?! Come on ford did you really think this would be a good idea? The public is not going to like this.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably makes sense because they sell more in China and that part of the world. According to the news, Focus sales were down 20% last year but up way more than that over there.

Plus there are a billion Chinese who are earning middle class wages now and want the conveniences those afford.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Sure, but ADD, not MOVE. They should simply add another factory over there, not ship crap all over the place unnecessarily by moving all production.

·
Registered
372 Posts
^ this ^

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts