Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh my goodness, my friend is looking to buy a Triumph Speed Triple, so we were at this dealer yesterday that sells Triumphs, Ducatis, and Aprilia's.

Well, I have been wanting a Ducati Monster for a while now. I have been tossing around the idea about getting a bike after my car was paid off, but I really want a new car. Don't necessarily NEED a new car, though.

So, I was there mostly oogling the bikes as my friend was discussing a purchase with the dealer owner. Then my friend mentioned to him about how I want to start riding in a year or so, and am pondering what bike would be best to start out on, either the Monster 620 or the S2R.

So then the owner had me sit on the 620, and, oh baby. My friend looked at me and was like "oh dude, that's money, you totally belong on a Monster" haha... and I am kinda worried about the 620, because I am afraid if I buy it I will eventually outgrow it and want something like the S2R (which is what I REALLY want but figure I'd better start small)... but the owner said no matter what bike I want I will always want something better, and he said what's cool about the 620 is that I will be able to use ALL of it's potential, versus someone buying a more powerful bike and not using it fully. Like my friend with his GSX-R750, he will never be able to use all of the throttle unless he takes it to a track.

So, that sold me. Once I sat on it, it sealed the deal, I absolutely need one now, it was haunting my dreams last night and all today too I can't stop thinking about it.

Then, eventually if I DO outgrow it, I can pony up to a Sport 1000, once they come out and my skill is better. That plus it's gonna be like $10,000 and I'd rather have been riding for a few years before getting one. I am just praying it isn't a limited model and that they keep producing them for a few years

Ducati Sport 1000

The GT 1000 is nice too, but I LOVE the Sport 1000. And the Paul Smart 1000 is just too expensive but it's frikkin awesome too.

On a side note, I am totally going back to this shop to buy it, they are freaking awesome. They do track days at Pocono too so I will be able to develop my skills under their teaching.

They had a Triumph Rocket III that they turbocharged, the thing is insane

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hells yeah. I mean, I fully realize that for the price I pay for even the 620 I could get an SV650 that would tromp on the Duc, but it just doesn't do it for me. The Monsters (and the new Paul Smart/GT/Sport 1000's) just are so full of, um, soul? They speak to me. I must have one

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
got teh fever too. just picked up a USED 1995 Kawasaki NInja 500R - i love riding

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
You will drop your first bike.

Allow me to repeat that.

You WILL DROP YOUR FIRST BIKE. If you ride with any frequency, some guy will pull out when you didn't expect it or you'll leave the brake lock on or you'll brake over san they just laid down for a new painted stripe or a patch of oil... something. It'll get scratched and ugly. Repairing bikes, even w/o fairings, is expensive.

Buy a cheap used bike for the first year, then sell it and get what you want. If you don't jack up the beater-bike, you can resell it for about the same amount you bought it.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
You will drop your first bike.

Allow me to repeat that.

You WILL DROP YOUR FIRST BIKE. If you ride with any frequency, some guy will pull out when you didn't expect it or you'll leave the brake lock on or you'll brake over san they just laid down for a new painted stripe or a patch of oil... something. It'll get scratched and ugly. Repairing bikes, even w/o fairings, is expensive.

Buy a cheap used bike for the first year, then sell it and get what you want. If you don't jack up the beater-bike, you can resell it for about the same amount you bought it.
Couldn't agree more.

I more than dropped my first street bike...enough to break my collar bone and have scars on my knees to this day. I guess I forgot just how much faster a street bike is compared to my old RM dirt bike. I even dropped my second bike. But it was while parked. Just lost my balance while taking it off the stand.

That's why I'd strongly suggest getting something simple and cheap for a first bike. It doesn't even have to be powerful or fast. Personally, I'd look for something in the 250-500cc range 10 or more years older. Just something that you can learn to ride on. The nice thing is, that's something that you can pick up today and start riding tomorrow. Getting a motorcycle permit is only a matter of paperwork and plenty of people don't even bother getting a license. They just pick up a permit every summer. Lazy, yes I know. But for some reason, some people just don't seem to get around to taking the test.

There's plenty of 70's & 80's bikes in the sub $1000 range that would make great starter bikes. Especially this time of year where we're nearing the end of our 'fair weather' riding season. Once Sep. hits up here, you'll see bikes pretty much dissapear off the roads. All those bikes will either end up in somebody's garage or the classifieds adds.

Only thing is, if you buy a bike off a private party, the first thing you should do is take it in to a motorcycle shop for a thourough safety inspection. Especially if you don't know much about bike maintenance. They can make sure the brakes are in good working order and are adjusted properly as well as inspecting and/or adjusting the chain. Also, on an older bike that hasn't gotten much use, the tires may be a little dry-rotted. While they may just be trying to sell you tires, I'd trust their opinion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't get a new bike as your new ride.
Get some old beater, learn on it and then see what you like.
1st bikes goes down easier then the rest

Forgotten foot stands, incorrect washing procedures, wrong brake use, you name it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ducati's are nice... but beware of the Desmodromic valves. Service intervals and costs make for a costly bike not only to buy, but to own. My .02

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Since Hodrodkris brought up motoGP @ laguna seca..

I felt obligated to post this.
Ducati Done up in full Carbon-Fiber... Mmm stright off the ducati island. If you own a ducati you get free parking there, along with complimentary breakfast...

Click Here For Full-Screen Photo

Btw, you mentioned something of the triumph Speed-tripple.

That bike is very nice, super-torquey from what I've heard...
my brother-in-law owns one, and the 2005's look nice...!

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
Since Hodrodkris brought up motoGP @ laguna seca..

I felt obligated to post this.
Ducati Done up in full Carbon-Fiber... Mmm stright off the ducati island. If you own a ducati you get free parking there, along with complimentary breakfast...

Click Here For Full-Screen Photo
I remember that thing.... there were some sick Ducs at MotoGP!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the fever... but it seems to have gone away. If anyone would like a 92 BMW K75, let me know.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At first I was gonna get a crappy bike to start with, expecting to drop it. But all of my friends dropped their second bikes, not their first bikes

I will probably buy a $500 beater off my girlfriend's friend's husband. I just feel unsafe riding cheap ones like that.

Oh and as far as the valve adjustments I know plenty about that. That's part of the charm

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just traded my jetski for a kawasaki vulcan 1500 classic. I too is my first bike! Im hoping to learn enough at the learning courses to be able to fall at a slow speed when i fall.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
and I am kinda worried about the 620, because I am afraid if I buy it I will eventually outgrow it
I want to vomit flaming blood when I hear/read this statement.

Buy a small bike.
Buy a used bike.
Buy a cheap bike.

You can find a bike that is all three.

On a side note, may I introduce you to the best 'first bike' ever, the Suzuki GS500...

It's just like the Monster, except cheaper.
And Japanese.
And slower.

Take the MSF course too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The 620 is plenty fun. Get it. The only mods I am considering right now are bar-end mirrors, and louder pipes.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I believe you can get what ever bike you like. However, there's a few things that you should take notice of.

Never ride the bike if you feel nervous or intimidated by it. If it intimidates you you'll be too cautious and worried, which is when the accidents happen!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts