Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I wanted to change my air filter to see if it would help cure my lumpy idle and the only one I could find around here was a FRAM air filter. My question is ... is a FRAM air filter total crap? If you say it is, please explain why a FRAM air filter would be bad compared to the OEM Motorcraft air filter. Thanx.

·
Registered
729 Posts
fram is a good company,,,iv never had a problem with them,,,,if its just a drop in replacement u wont have a prob with them at all

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No ... I do mean air filter ... that's what's in my Focus right now. It's a know fact (not just an opinion) that FRAM's oil filters are poorly designed with crappy materials ... but I'm just wondering about their air filters since to me, it looks the exact same as the OEM Motorcraft air filter ... it's just paper ... but I might be wrong. That's why I want opinions on this subject.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Fram oil filters are kinda shoddy. Fram air filters I've had good luck with. If you can afford it, I'd go with a K&N or ITG Pro-Filter, or better yet, a real intake of some sort (Ice-Man, Volant, AEM, etc). A Fram air filter should be okay though if you just want to see if it will help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I just wanted to see if it would help my idle ... but it was time to change the air filter anywayz. So I was asking because I'll remove the FRAM and replace it with a Motorcraft OEM filter if everyone says that FRAM air filters are crap but if it's just as good as the OEM, I'll just leave it in ... and maybe get a K&N next time I have to change it (I usually change my air filters 2 times a year).

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Fram makes good filters, if not, they wouldn't still be in business. The reason I don't like Fram oil filters is they filter too much. In older engines, that will increase oil pressure and also cause oil starvation in the upper end until the oil gets up there.

Their air filters are fine, I would get it and just leave it until it needs to be replaced again.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Without getting on my soapbox and writing a massively long post, I’ll say this: It is my opinion that Fram is caca. There may be a few filters that are the exception (like the race filter), but in general, Fram is caca.

They used to be good, now they are not. Why, you ask? Well, they reduced the amount of filter element to reduce the production cost and increase their profits. In some cases, they have replaced metal parts with cardboard in an effort to reduce the production costs. I would consider this not good.

The reason they are still in business and selling filters is three words: Marketing, Marketing, and Marketing. They are also ridding on their laurels of their past, when they made good filters. I’m sure there are people out there that say, “I remember my Dad using Fram, so I will too”. That’s fine, I know I did. But then I started reading articles, cutting open some of the oil filters I had used, and comparing the air filters while standing in the store by counting the number of folds and trying to see how tall the folds were. It was easy to see the quality of materials and machining that went into the product. I concluded that Fram is caca (so is STP by the way).

I would rather you use Fram then not change your filters, but if you are going through the hassle, you might as well use the best you can (and readily available). In my opinion, that would be Motorcraft, ACDelco, and/or Purolator. There are others, but these are generally easy to find.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The interesting thing is that from Plugs to Oil Filters, to Air-Filters, original Motorcraft is consistently good and not too expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts