Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever had a front end run away from them? Im thinking about putting some serious hardcore power into my focus, and I have heard of front ends pulling away from the unibody. A guy at work floored his cuda awhile back and had everything infront of the cab jump 3 inches forward(guess 580 horse was too much). Ended up dragging his transmission on the ground all the way home becasue the car basically split in half, not much was holding the front on. He had said that I might want to invest in frame ties seeing how the focus is a unibody, I honestly had no idea the car was uni.Just wondering if anyone uses frame ties, or if I should even bother.

Thanks,Matt

·
Registered
436 Posts
The cuda's engine could not have pulled away as it is rear wheel drive and would be pushed from behind. What would have happened is the torque would have twisted the engine against the frame, bending the body and breaking or twisting its mounts. Same effect. The Focus engine is mounted sideways, but depending on torque, frame ties might be warranted.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah your right Cuda's are rear wheel, guess I didnt think about it. Might not have been a cuda either, he told me this along time ago. Still, cant beleive I would over look that
, oh anyways though...do any of you guys with high horse like 300 400+ use ties, if not then why should I right? As long as you and your ride have never had problems.

·
Registered
75 Posts
im thinking that you are over estimating anything that you can do with the zetec engine... come on its a FORD FOCUS with a 4 cylinder engine....

i mean you maybe able to get some good power out of it but i doubt that it will rip the car apart....

It would just blow it apart...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
i dunno the subframe assembly apears to be a very stout peice on the focus, i wouldnt worry bout it.

Now if you had a b14 se-r thats a different story. with slicks and a strong motor the control arms could deflect as much as a inch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks SMoe thats what I wanted to know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts