Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear to god I'm about to buy another oil pan and say 'screw it!'. I've tried everything, hammering on a smaller size wrench/socket, vice grip, and chisel and hammer. I swear were did Chrysler get the idea of using aluminum drain plugs?

Does anyone have any types on getting this Mother [censored] out? I'm about to get the meanest most badass vice grip from hell and just go ape on it untill either the head breaks off or I rip the oil pan off from the bottom of the engine.

·
Banned
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH yeah I forgot about those....

I still want to vice grip the hell out of it tho....

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
my first oil change on my focus i coundnt get the damn plug off either. i took it to my buddy and he bent a 1/2 inch wrentch trying to get the damn thing off.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If you are already going that route, why don't you get a bolt extractor and get a new drain plug for the car?

Under $20 at Sears.
i need just that for my rounded out endlink bolt!

sweet!

·
Banned
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats what you get for owning a chrysler vehicle
Hey this chrysler own vehicle can whoop 90% of this forum entire userbase.

I got it out. DIdnt want spend anymore money on tools, but I went ahead and buy the bolt extrator kit. $21 and I suppose I'll be able to use it at work if I ever find another rounded out bolt.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Stupid question, but did you try running the vehicle for 5 or so minutes to heat it up a bit? Any time i've had an issue with a stuck drain plug, I just run the car which expands the oil pan enough to pop it loose.

·
Banned
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stupid question, but did you try running the vehicle for 5 or so minutes to heat it up a bit? Any time i've had an issue with a stuck drain plug, I just run the car which expands the oil pan enough to pop it loose.
Oh it was very hot. I could tell because it nearly burn my eye out when a piece of it fell on my eyebrow. Thank god I wear glasses.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
...and while we're on the subject:

Folks, DON'T overtighten your oil filter or drain plug!

...and if you sense that it is getting rounded out or worn out... replace it!

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
...and while we're on the subject:

Folks, DON'T overtighten your oil filter or drain plug!

...and if you sense that it is getting rounded out or worn out... replace it!
if i remember right i think its only 18 ft-lbs. someone correct me if im wrong

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
i feel you pain .. my wifes plymouth breeze sufferrd the same fate of stripped plug from over tightening ..

and i didnt even tighten that hard .. just snug and quarter turn .. next time around i extracted the plug with what looked liek a spring around the bolt .. turns out it was the threads of the pan ..

some gorrila snot and the bolt wrapped in gauze held it for a week for a new pan to arrive and a large pizza and a buddies help and shop lift later back to good ..

damn chysler and hter aluminuim junk ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts