Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at a little over 70, I managed to cause a retread from a trailer somewhere in front of me on I-275 a 0-70 acceleration time of about .2 seconds. While my bumper and lip spoiler weren't marked with anything a little Goof-off couldn't fix, the black plastic vents right behind the bumper were relatively shattered. I pulled a couple pieces off the following day. Now I'm assuming these are just vents of some sort, to redirect more air to the radiator and such. They're mounted perpendicularly to the bumper. I guess I'm just wanting to hear some comments on what they are and should I be worried, because I haven't noticed in problems since.

·
Registered
83 Posts
just make sure that piece doesn't cause any stability problems with your bumper like your bumper starts sagging, in turn that will probably mess stuff up for you like wheel wells bowing out in turn the tire rubs on it eating it away etc.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Are the plastic pieces flat? If so they are just a shield so that rocks and debris doesn't get slammed into the radiator. Sounds like you're fine, just check the stability of the bumper to make sure. I live in Livonia, if you want I can check it out for you. I've torn up my old Focus's front end so I know what to look for.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm fine.... there are two flat, black plastic sheets that run vertically in front of the radiator and are perpendicular to the bumper. Maybe the question I should ask is - is it worth the effort to replace? I haven't looked that closely, but I can't imagine it being a job of any kind of difficulty.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'd say leave it alone unless you happen to come across the pieces. It won't save your life or anything so I say screw it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
just make sure that piece doesn't cause any stability problems with your bumper like your bumper starts sagging, in turn that will probably mess stuff up for you like wheel wells bowing out in turn the tire rubs on it eating it away etc.
huh?
dude you should be on Jay Leno or something...LOL

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
That is exactly what those are for... pushing air into the radiator. The funny thing is, they are exaclty the same as the ZX3, which has a smaller air dam. As you can imagine, they really don't do a whole lot to direct air in. I don't think youd have a prob.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
huh?
dude you should be on Jay Leno or something...LOL
He's talking about the splash shield in the wheel wells I think. It's a valid point, but the Focus bumpers aren't supported by these.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts