Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to paint my calipers using the G2 paint system. Upon searching on this site, I came across some pictures that showed a finished paint job, but the retaining clips were not on. Are these really necessary, or could they be left off once you remove them to paint the calipers.

·
TEAM Member
86 Posts
Hello,

I have been through this whole process, this is what I discovered about the clips.

I painted my calipers about a year ago, mounted everything back up and drove it for 9 months without the clips. However, since I'm a bit anal about rattles and noises, I discovered this new annoying rattle coming from the front end whenever I'd go over a bump or at other more strange times. Well, after removing the wheels and tapping on the calipers, as well as everything else in the front end to determine where the rattle was coming from, I determined that the steel brake pad arms where the culprit (the little steel arms that are attached to the pad's back plate). Then remembering that I never reinstalled those darn clips, I put them in and all annoying sounds were gone.

The clips do not hold anything in, or keep anything from flying off the car. All the clips do is keep the brake pad snug up against the mount so that they do not bounce around. The brakes work fine either way, but I'd put them in.

However, I would wait a good week before installing the clip after you do the paint job because it installs so hard that it is easy to scratch your new paint job.

I hope this helps,
Take care.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts