·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Here's the story.

I built these around 6 months ago. I installed them on 3 cars, one of which is a race car. They have been run for around 10,000 miles on the street cars and around 10 races on the race car. All have performed well, no issues. I then sold 5 sets, one of which went on a race car. The set that was on the race car had a problem. One of them was bent. I think that it happened when going off the track (not certain of that). The fact that one of them was bent made me rethink the design. I have come up with a small modification that will fix this, but haven't had time to finish it. Bottom line is that I have 40 sets of the original design but have not built the part that will add strength. The original design hasn't changed, it just gets this additional part added to it.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
So you have 40 sets of the current/old style, I know I would like a set for my car and I use it strickly as a street car. Group buy on them? :D

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was wondering if the bend would hold or not. I figured there would be some flex under high stress, but street would be pretty good.

Just a matter of adding a gusset, basically?

Just like the first time they came up, I'm 100% on board. Infact I have a brand new set of control arms just waiting for these.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yes to all the above. I too only do street driving. Very aggressive hard cornering/power sliding but that's it. You said race car went off track which sounds like extreme circumstances. Would they be ok for something like auto-x where there is no off track situations? Just asking since I might try some auto-x.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yes to all the above. I too only do street driving. Very aggressive hard cornering/power sliding but that's it. You said race car went off track which sounds like extreme circumstances. Would they be ok for something like auto-x where there is no off track situations? Just asking since I might try some auto-x.
This. Build the support part already lol. In the meantime it sounds like the original design would be fine for aggressive street driving. I'll forego auto-x until the new ones are made. I could use these asap since I want to lower my car in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It has slots so you can slide back and forth thus adjusting the camber. Dominant Engs front control arms use the same sliding adjustment. Quite simple actually.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
It has slots so you can slide back and forth thus adjusting the camber. Dominant Engs front control arms use the same sliding adjustment. Quite simple actually.
Right, but it uses the stock holes in the arms. IIRC, there isn't a whole lot of room to move the ball joint inboard.

IMO, what the Focus world really needs is not another way to adjust camber, but a roll center correction kit. A simple way to move the outboard pivot down or the inboard pivot up.

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right, but it uses the stock holes in the arms. IIRC, there isn't a whole lot of room to move the ball joint inboard.

IMO, what the Focus world really needs is not another way to adjust camber, but a roll center correction kit. A simple way to move the outboard pivot down or the inboard pivot up.

I don't know if it was Mark or if it was someone else, but this has been played with some.
IIRC, whoever was playing with it, used shims and a radial bearing in place of the rear CA bushing. Was intended to reduce dive under braking but nice side effect is altering the roll center and camber under load.
I don't remember which site the writeup was on either. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts