Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this could go in a few different forums, but Suspension seems like a good catch-all...

The car is a 2004 ZX3 2.3 with 65,000mi, including 15-20 trackdays. A month ago, I replaced control arms, spindles, hubs, bearings, tie rod ends, calipers, and tires.

Before doing all the work, I felt a vibration in the front end that I thought was an out-of balance wheel. After the work, and with new wheels and tires on, the vibration is still there - and it appears to be getting slightly worse. After putting two different wheel/tires on each of the front corners, and not noticing any obvious damage nor missing weights on any of the wheels…I’m pretty sure it’s not a wheel balance issue.

Over the last week, one of my right front brake pads has been dragging with the same frequency as the front-end vibration (squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak). The vibration is more noticeable when turning, and is definitely worse when turning right – ie, when the right-front is carrying a little less load.

I’ve got two thoughts:
1. The brand-new right front wheel bearing or hub is slightly misaligned.
2. One of the right side CV joints is going.

I’m leaning more toward the second, as the car feels like my wife’s wagon did before we had a well-worn CV shaft replaced. But then again, it feels like a few different things - most of which I *think* I've eliminated.

What do you think?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I had a clunk which correlated w/ some rotor scrape and thought the same things as you, and in MY case, it was found that the center nut at the top of a strut was not completely torqued, which allowed some misalignment to occur under various loads.
I didn't notice ball-joints on your list. Accidental omission?
(You replaced damn near everything else...
)
I've also been told that sometimes wheel bearings are bad right out of the box, regardless of brand.
Any of the above COULD be a culprit.
I wouldn't think CV unless you have that telltale clicking, but I confess, I'm no expert in that area by any stretch.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a clunk which correlated w/ some rotor scrape and thought the same things as you, and in MY case, it was found that the center nut at the top of a strut was not completely torqued, which allowed some misalignment to occur under various loads.
Hmm, I'll check the torque on the strut nuts. Interesting. Did your vibration seem to get suddenly worse at some point? It sure seems like mine just did over this weekend.

I didn't notice ball-joints on your list. Accidental omission?
Ooops, yes. Both ball joints on each side are fresh.

I've also been told that sometimes wheel bearings are bad right out of the box, regardless of brand.
Egads, really? That's a bummer...the spindles came fresh from Ford with the bearings already pressed. Dangit.

I wouldn't think CV unless you have that telltale clicking, but I confess, I'm no expert in that area by any stretch.
No clicky sound that I've noticed - but then again, I didn't notice any kind of clicking on my wife's car before the CV was replaced. Should probably turn the stereo off from time to time...

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Hmm, I'll check the torque on the strut nuts. Interesting. Did your vibration seem to get suddenly worse at some point? It sure seems like mine just did over this weekend.
Mine was fairly fresh after a rebuild to replace a wheel bearing, strut bearings and a couple other things.
I noticed it a little right away, but it got much worse after some hard cornering at at Auto-X.
I took it in and the wheel bearing checked out. Luckily, my Service Director is also a racer and he found the problem and had the nuts torqued, no charge.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'll check it out.

Forgot to mention - also did new strut bearings and nuts (center and bearing) with all the above.

EDIT - btw, thanks for the feedback

1 - 5 of 5 Posts