Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front Left \"Ticking\" Noise When Turning Right

I'm not sure how long this ticking noise has been there but since it's summer and I have the windows down more I really hear it now. It only happens when I turn to the right, nothing when turning left. I checked the CV joint boot and there are no rips and no grease on the fender liner indicating the boot is torn. I run spacers with my big brake kit and 17" wheels but I've tripled checked for clearence issues and there are none.

Any suggestions on what it could be? (Oh and I did check for th obligatory rock stuck in the tire and there isn't one
)

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Re: Front Left \"Ticking\" Noise When Turning Right

If it's loud and consistent, it could still be a CV joint; they don't have to leak grease to go bad.

It's been years since I've seen the inside of a CV joint, but the old ones used to have a center steel ring that kept the bearings evenly spaced. When the joint is put into extreme angles, like u-turns, etc, and full throttle applied, that can stress that ring and it can crack, then make noise but your car will still drive.

Just one possibility.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah it's strange, the ticking is not present when turning left or with the wheel straight. I turn the wheel slighty to the right, no ticking. A little bit more and the sound appears.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

One of my many wheel bearing failures included a strange ticking noise with a slight wheel turn... very noticeable while driving along curbs.

I swore up and down that it was a CV... until I replaced the wheel bearing. The bearing and race were trashed. There was no play in the wheel when using the old "shake it" method.

...just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

Almost 80K miles and now I believe my CV joints are going back. Not bad for the 100's of autocross runs this car has. I guess I better find out what it takes to do these repairs myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts