Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front Signals Used For DRL\'s????

Like the turn signals on the new vette-they default to their brightest output when the lights are off. Any one know if we can bridge a wire or two or mod a relay to make this happen?????

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Front Signals Used For DRL\'s????

I just tried all different wiring combos I could think of and the only thing I accomplished was blowing a fuse. I think the only way to do this would be to wire in a new relay??? Anybody have any ideas before I figure this out for myself five years from now? Our turn signals in the grille use two elements, one for marker lights and the other for a brighter turn signal-both are used at the same time through a three wire system. My goal is to get the front turn signals to stay on bright when the parking lights are turned on and to pulse on and off for signaling. When the headlights are turned on, the turn signals revert to their OEM function. Any ideas?????

·
Registered
1,543 Posts

This can be done, but you would need to wire in a diode for this. I dont remember how to do it, but my friend knows how.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks man-can you have your friend drop a line maybe??-Remember, I have the US spec early 2000 model if that makes a difference, it has a build date of september 1999. It would be nice to do this since it seems everyone has DRL's and has become so common it feels like other drivers ignore you just as much as before DRL's.

·
Registered
860 Posts

Getting them to come on bright when on, and then flash for turns is easy...Switch the two hot wires...As for making them revert back to normal function when the head lights are on...Im not totally sure...But it may be possible if you tie in to the side markers...It sounds kinda confusing...But, Ill try to figure it out and get back to you...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I tried switching the hot wires and I got the signals to come on bright when the headlights came on but wasnt able to get them to flash. Givin the OEM system, it would flash the dimmer element of the bulb and you cant see that over the brighter element. I think the only way to do this is to run the bright element through the fender marker relay when the headlight switch is on the parking light selection. And to switrch to OEM function when the headlight switch is turned all the way to the headlight on selection. I just dont know how??? Maybe a second relay from the fender marker hot wire turned off by turning the headlights on????

·
Registered
860 Posts

Yeah, I realised that later on in the day...The switching hot wires wouldnt allow you to see the flashing...But, like you said, hook the bright-side hot into the side marker lights; making sure to use a relay so you dont burn up the wiring...This gets you brights when you have the parking lights on, and they will still flash (however they will no longer alternate with the sides)
...I have sort of figured out how youd need it wired to revert back to normal with the headlights on, youd actually need two relays...One set up for normally-open, and one set for normally-closed...You would actually end up having two circuits for the bright side...One would be the normal circuit, and one would be where it taps in to the side markers...And each would have a relay in it...This should allow the signals to do what you want...I can get more in-depth if youd like me to, in case I confused you here...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks man-I'm going to see a friend from outta town whos an electrical engineer of sorts. From what we found here, I think we can get a nice, clean and easy plug and play system. I'll get back to this post in a couple days and try to have something accomplished. If you think of anything else, lemme know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts