Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 SE that I'm putting the SVT suspension on.

I have to replace the front sway bar as well. Must the subframe be dropped to do this or can you get at it with the front strut assemblies off the car. Doesn't look too easy.

Anyone have this done? How much $?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I tried looking for an easier way to do it than to drop the subframe... and I couldn't fine one.

it's really not that hard to drop it down. if you have a chilton's, it tells you how to do it. the one thing you need to remember is to MARK WHERE THE SUBFRAME SITS so you can get it back in the right spot - otherwise you'll most likely have alignment issues.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I have a 2000 SE that I'm putting the SVT suspension on.

I have to replace the front sway bar as well. Must the subframe be dropped to do this or can you get at it with the front strut assemblies off the car. Doesn't look too easy.

Anyone have this done? How much $?
WAIT!!! Do you have a Zetec SE or an SPI SE?

If it is a Zetec, you likely already have the same front bar as an SVT. Make sure before you tear it apart.

...and remember, you don't have to remove the subframe, only lower it.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I got mine out by dropping the flex pipe, unhooking the tie rod ends from the spindles and pulling like mad on the thing. Then, I got the 24mm H&R front bar using the same method and did the bionic arm and u-joint extension tricks to get the mounts secured. I would not remove your front subframe, except as a last resort.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
unhooking the tie rod ends from the spindles...
How did that help??
Once you get the big curvy piece near the end of the sway-bar far enough out, you have to rotate the bar. The tie rods get in the way. Drive them from the spindles, push them forwards, and then they are out of the way. Pull the bar as far out the driver's side as possible, pull the passenger side out the hole you created by dropping the flex, then rotate the curve of the bar around the steering shaft knuckle as you pull the other end out. Install is the reverse of removal. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
How much do you have to lower the subframe? An inch?

I am getting ready to do this in a few days.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
How much do you have to lower the subframe? An inch?

I am getting ready to do this in a few days.
I just completely removed all six subframe bolts after carefully scribing the location of the subframe itself. It'll hang from the lower ball joints.

But... Personally I'd give Rich's method a shot first, as subframe misalignment can certainly cause problems.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Will do. I will deffinitely try Rich's idea first.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Will do. I will deffinitely try Rich's idea first.
The most difficult part is wiggling around the steering knuckle. Unfortunately, it is in close porximity to the shifter mechanism and space is tight.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
FWIW, I've removed the subframe numerous times, and never had issues. As long as you take care to put it up in the right spot, using the factory alignment holes. A couple mm either way shouldn't make a big difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SPI. That's the issue. Have all the SVT stuff but need that 21 mm bar too. Ain't gonna put the rear bar on till I put the larger front bar on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts