Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got the HID kit from Ford Racing Parformance Parts. It comes with a harness. I noticed that if I use it without any rewiring, a built-in amber light will work as DRL. Does anybody know how to make that amber light work as a turn signal, using the harness? I would like to remove the original factory upper grille. Any pointers are also welcomed.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm taking a stab here, as I don't have the HIDs. I would guess you take the wire coming out of the harness that powers the amber bulb and connect it to the wire that was coming from the OE turn signal plug. It's possible you'll need to splice on a little extra wire length, since the turn sig wires are rather short... I'm not sure.

If you look behind the grille at the back of the signal lenses, each electrical connector has 3 wires running to it. Ground, Blinker and Middle wire (constant). If you take the wire that's not Black and not the middle one, it should cause the HID amber bulbs to blink when you push down the blinker stalk. You could also probably run both wires that aren't the Ground, then your ambers would be on with the parking light position, and blink when the blinker's on... but I personally don't like that look, so my ST170s don't work like that.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
The HID's already have a turn signal. Its got the smaller city light as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply, Tobbyboom and newb23.
The HID's already have a turn signal. Its got the smaller city light as well.
Let me explain my problem further. Now my HIDs are working, but the small light above the amber light is "flashing". The cycle is faster than the original turn signals. Then, I think something may be wrong. The amber light I mentioned is the lamp which is used as a turn signal in Europe.

Do you think the small light as a turn signal correct? If somebody removed the upper grille after installation of HID, which light is being used as a turn signal?

Thanks in advance. I may be just confused...

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
FocusTar, you wired them incorrectly, the flashing tiny lightbulb is actually the City (PARK) light, its not ment to flash at all, the DRL can be your low beam, your high beam at reduced intensity, or your fogs, if u want your turn signal (the bigger orange light) then you need major re-wiring with diodes and such to get it to work, you cant just splice together some wires and expect it to work like how u want it to. it will work according to how ford built the car, and since they used the DRL on the low beam, thats why a lot of us are removing the DRL relay and finding alternative ways to use the DRL, such as the DRF (Daytime Running Foglight) modification that I created.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, Paolo.

I asked a local Ford dealer to install the kit with harness, because there are other maintenance. Probably I should ask them how they installed in detail. But according to your comment, it is VERY difficult to make the amber lights (bigger ones) work as turn signals. It seems that I need to make another harness. Don't you use those amber lights as turn signals?

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
diodes?? what the [censored] are you guys talking about??

oi christ.

http://homepage.mac.com/alf/HIDlights/step04.html
http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showf...part=1&vc=1

What your gona have to do is, remove the connecto, and remove wires from pins 3 & 4.

You don't need any diodes or anything crazy.

Your HIDs should have 4 bulbs.
1) Xenon(HID) low beam in projector housing.
2) Hi-Beam Halogen in a reflector.
3) DRL/City Lamp/Parking Light on the ery top, tiny bulb.
4) Amber Turn Signal on the outside edge of the lite.

The wiring connector has 2 grounds, 1 wire for each light.

If you swap the two wires for the DRL and the amber, it should make the amber only come on when u flick the blinker stalk.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
just to be clear...

city lights are meant to only stay on, not blink...they are a european originated style that was used to light up the headlight housing enough to be visible in well-lit city areas in europe (also since they have a lot of low-lying fog/smg, so a small light is able reflect easily)

-chris

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I think everyone is confused. The harness provided by Ford has no connection for the turn indicators in the headlamp, it just uses the stock grill turn indicators. So there needs to be some modification to the harness in order for the headlamp indicators to work. I beleive that is what the initial post was asking.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm taking a stab here, as I don't have the HIDs. I would guess you take the wire coming out of the harness that powers the amber bulb and connect it to the wire that was coming from the OE turn signal plug. It's possible you'll need to splice on a little extra wire length, since the turn sig wires are rather short... I'm not sure.

If you look behind the grille at the back of the signal lenses, each electrical connector has 3 wires running to it. Ground, Blinker and Middle wire (constant). If you take the wire that's not Black and not the middle one, it should cause the HID amber bulbs to blink when you push down the blinker stalk. You could also probably run both wires that aren't the Ground, then your ambers would be on with the parking light position, and blink when the blinker's on... but I personally don't like that look, so my ST170s don't work like that.
This man has it!! this is what your looking to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, thank you very much for everybody that gave a reply.
Now I think I am very clear after I read through the post.

Though I ASKED them to make the amber lamps work as turn signals, they installed the kit as provided. It means that (as stated clearly by Kaminari croc) there was no lines connected with the turn signals in HIDs. This is what they did. For amber lamps, there is a red wire in harness. It can go to the battery and it will turn on when the engine is ON.

So the reason why small light above the ambers "correctly (?)" work as turn signals is that that's the way FRPP makes the harness. But anyway, these small lamps are not very visible, so I will modify the wires (or they will do that).

Again thank you very much!

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
to modify the harness.

you need to make pin wires 3 & 4 go to the Minor and Major wires on the turn singals in teh grill.

the grill signals have the connector labeled as to which is minor and which is major. Major is going to be for the City Light. Minor is going to be for the amber lite.

I may have that backwards, check the link I provided earlier as to which is which.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I installed this kit today and i have a problem too. I installed the kit just like the focus fanatics issue said. I spliced the two black wires into the center wire of the upper grill signal lights but i did not connect the red ignition wire. so when i drive the little bulbs light up and the HIDS light up. As far as the outer large amber lights they dont light up at all. Where do i run the red ignition light to and what does that turn on? Also what exactly do i have to do exactly to make the outer large amber lights as turn signals so i can unplug the old center ones?

·
Registered
753 Posts
help

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Try to take apart the harness and build your own. Mine came from ebay with soldered wires to the pins and then they injected some kind of silicon in there to protect the pins in the harness with the wires just sticking out from the center of the mess of silicon. I ripped the silicon out, desoldered the wires and then built my own harness with the one from VW.

Try post a pic of your harness connection.

·
Registered
753 Posts
ok that is way too much work for my electrical know how. Guess i wont have front turn signals. Were can i run the red ignition wire to make them at least DRL's

·
Registered
753 Posts
anyone?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
I didn't read everyones reply, but surely your only issue is that they are wired backwards.

Switch wires, done.

- Drew

·
Registered
753 Posts
the outer lights are not hooked up at all. so there is nothing to reverse

1 - 20 of 23 Posts