Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy something soon, as I have to replace my air filter anyway. I dont want to get the AEM CAI as I have heard too many problems with it. I was wondering if the Cool Flo kit was worth it. What kind of gains will there be? Anything available that is better? I will hopefully be getting the Procharger when it comes out, will there be any problems hooking it up to the Cool Flo? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
COMPLETELY worth it IMO. nice deep tone, noticable power gain, and no worries of sucking water up into your engine. also an easy install. good luck.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I am going to get one of these too. I love the clean look of them and I won't have to worry about sucking up water with it. Also, on FocusSport's website, it showed pretty decent gains on a regular ZETEC.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: FS Cool Flo....Want Mine??

I'll gladly sell you mine for cheap. Ran it for 100 miles and frankly I don't feel the difference despite others' improvements. I wrote the company and while they are nice and have hundreds of happy purchasers, I am not one of them.
Even have the can of oil spray-new. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yes it is definetly worth it. I had one on my ZTS and then when I bought my new SVT in April, I had it put on and I love it. The ITG filter is considered by many in the auto industry to be THE best filter. It also makes some sweet music when you get on the throttle as has been mentioned and also you don't have to worry about 'hydrolock.' And yes, the heat shield does actually work. Bottom line is that you have to go with what you think is best for you. My choice is the COOL-FLO.

·
Registered
16 Posts

that price is a little steep ($200) for pretty much a filter.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts

that price is a little steep ($200) for pretty much a filter.
I don't think we charge too much. I'm going to carefully assume that you have not really looked at the FocusSport Cool-Flo section of our website. The most expensive part of our kit is the ITG Maxogen filter, which costs about twice as much as a K&N with the same dimensions. We import these ITG filters from England. Obviously, the Sterling is worth more than the US Dollar, so it's not cheap. Factor in exchange rates, shipping, duties, taxes and brokerage fees from the UK and it's quite pricey. Many years ago we used K&N with our VW and Audi line, but since found ITG to be a superior product. Another very pricey part of the kit is the small breather filter that we include in the Cool-Flo. ITG didn't have anything like this in their product line, so we designed a filter and had to pay for the tooling for said filter since it was only going to be used by us. Sometimes you have to pay to play. K&N is right around the corner from us, we could save serious money on each kit if we wanted, AND increase profit. So why don't we do that? I'll tell you why. We believe in making the best product we can within a reasonable price range.

Next, look at our heat shield. It's not just some piece of metal. It was carefully designed to shield the ITG filter. If you were to ever really look at the shield up close, you would see that it's not easy to manufacture. The shield also is adorned with our stainless badge, which the tooling was a couple of thousand dollars. Add the dual stage powder coat and again, not a cheap piece to make. Of course we inlcude the rubber hood seal, thermal flex connecting hose, clamps, necessary hardware, and instructions. Now add a LIFETIME warranty to the kit.

We also buy materials and manufacture in the USA, except for ITG and Kent from the UK. We could easily farm-out our products to be made in China. We would save a lot of money, but we have very high quality control standards and prefer to support the US workforce for labor. I can tell you that by looking at other kits that are using lesser components and cheaper build methods, we are making far less profit that other companies out there.

FocusSport has overhead costs to absorb into each product. This is not some ebay internet business that we run out of someone's bedroom. We operate out of a 10,000+ square foot facility with our own load-bearing Dynojet 248H. The building and the dyno cost money. We have a profit margin that we operate within. Any buisness minded individual can see how this works.

Customer service is yet another factor in this cost equation. Our employees, myself included, are here for you if you ever run into a problem with our products. No one works for free, I'm sure you know, and we have 7 full time employees that are here for you in some form or another, from parts design to shipping out your order.

The Cool-Flo is the epitome of form and function when it comes to Focus intake systems. Sure, we could have cut corners and made it cheaper, but that is not our business philosophy.

I'm sure that some of you won't agree with this, but at least you understand where we are coming from and why we charge what we do.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts

Can I get an Amen? FOCUS SPORT rocks! I have had some work done on both of my Foci by them and the products, quality and professionalism are top shelf. There just are no short cuts to success nor to quality-you do get what you pay for. Cliff

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sold out

I just tried to order and they are all sold out. Any other alternatives out there???

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Re: Sold out

I just tried to order and they are all sold out. Any other alternatives out there???

AEM short ram.
it's great

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

I wish I had gone with the FS Cool-Flo now. After my last oil sample analysis its looking like the AEM CAI is sucking up some serious grit into the engine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yeah, sorry about that. These things are so damn hard to keep in stock.
Any idea as to when they will be available again and can you let me know via PM or email?

·
Registered
22 Posts

I ordered mine last night and got a call today about it being sold out. They said it would take 2-3 weeks as they are out of filters.

I'm going to wait as I've heard a lot of good things about the product.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts