Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone with the Focus Sport Race header/flex pipe, I just installed one last night and the header collector is TOUCHING the bottom of my oil pan.There are no leaks and everything is nice and tight. Anyone else haz this rub problem?

P.S.
I have installed several shorty headers and ORP's and this was the WORST install than any of them.
All the brackets had to go, I had a TERRIBLE time with the EGR pipe being misaligned (had to bend) and had to rip out the 1st o2 sensor wire to extend it to the NEW sensor location. Only thing that was nice is that the bolts were ez to attach.

Compared to my FS Shorty w/ORP, i am very disapointed. If you have a shory allready, just
get the Off Road Pipe, Butt dyno says VERY LITTLE
gain in performance.

Milan

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The best person to contact would be Randy @ Focus Sport. I'm sure he can help you with the problem.

I too have installed both shorty and race headers. I always found the race headers to be MUCH easier to deal with, especially since you don't need the cat support in front of the block. The O2 wires will actually reach the new location on the FS race header without having to be extended, you just have to get creative.
There is also another brace just behind the oil pan that should also be used at the collector/flex-pipe intersection. Good luck solving the problem. Focus Sport has some of the best cust service around, and I'm sure they will help solve your issues.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I'll clear it up a bit, RIP out barbs holding
the harness and streatch it so the wires reach the new o2 sensor location.

I could NOT use the back brace as it did not align
with the header! I would have to slot the part of the brace which attaches to the block.

Anyhow what i need to know is DOES ANYONE ELSE'S HEADER TOUCH THE OIL PAN?

Thank you, Milan

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
We flipped the O2 sensors on mine so the wires would reach
EGR tube took a bit of tinkering as well...not supposed to use the brackets....rubbing?sounds like the bolts arent tight or the exhaust is pushing it to far...

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
The header shouldn't be rubbing. I would check the alignment of the extension and exhaust. Also, make sure everything is tight up top. The instructions do indicate what you need to do for the oxygen sensors and brackets to fit properly.

The RACE header will always yield better power gains than a shorty/off road combo if the car has mods that can take advantage of the better flow, btw. I believe Vince just picked up around 14 hp to the wheels with serious mods in place while using the FS race header.

If you are still having problems after going over the installation, please give us a call on Monday (we are closed now).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW, I need to have my buttdyno retuned,
Substituting a FS shorty w/off road pipe for
the Race header will gain up to 14 HP on the dyno!
Anyhow like i stated, EVERYTHING is tight up on the head with no leaks, So if the collector rubs on the oil pan it as it hangs freely that it was fabbed wrong! Do you think i should force the collecor into the rear bracket? The reason i did not want to do this is cause this will cause STRESS on the pretty welds! Anyhow i will try it
and hopefully it will work out ok!

Thank's for all your help guys, Milan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts