Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would put this here as more F/I guys are probably running oil coolers. On my JRSC SVT the factory oil cooler started leaking do to age and rust like many others. I would like to put a air to oil cooler on it like the FS Werks kit due to the high temps I see during autox and I would also like to track the car more this up coming summer. Has any one had any experience with this kit. Any drop in oil pressure due to the added cooler? I am just looking for feed back and suggestions.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I ran this system on my dedicated racecar, 2.3 no power adders. System is well done and easy to install. No oil pressure loss but the temp issue is very sensitive to cooler placement and actual air flow. Moved it three times until had some actual improvement , overall a good system.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I haven't purchased the kit yet just do to the fact that the car is in storage for the winter. That is good information to know about placing the cooler in the right spot.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
On another note... while there is nothing wrong with the FS kit, an oil cooler setup is a set of pretty basic parts. It isn't a lot of work to go custom and piece together your own unit. I prefer to use AN fittings and braided stainless for my oil lines for extra insurance.

My PWSC car is running a Mocal TOP1LP take-off plate with a Mocal cooler and thermostat and -10 lines. The cooler is behind the driver side foglight hole in the SVT bumper.
My other oil cooled setup is running Summit Racing bits with -8 lines.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was considering going that route. I guess I just wanted to make sure that the sandwich plate would fit. I should be able to figure that out I guess. Omni are you running a thermostatic unit or no?

·
Registered
316 Posts
On another note... while there is nothing wrong with the FS kit, an oil cooler setup is a set of pretty basic parts. It isn't a lot of work to go custom and piece together your own unit. I prefer to use AN fittings and braided stainless for my oil lines for extra insurance.

My PWSC car is running a Mocal TOP1LP take-off plate with a Mocal cooler and thermostat and -10 lines. The cooler is behind the driver side foglight hole in the SVT bumper.
Exactly.

-10 lines should be the minimum size and since it is a street car the thermostat is a must. I would replace the factory oil/water cooler and then add the aftermarket oil/air cooler. The factory cooler for fast warm up and the aftermarket for track use oil cooling.

msperber can get away without having a thermostat as his is a dedicated track car that is allowed to warm up before use.

This is a nice kit for a Miata, as an example to show what the costs would be for a proper set up. The only thing on this kit that wouldn't work on the Focus is the oil take off, due to the oil filter thread size being metric.
http://www.trackspeedengineering.com/Cooling/Trackspeed-Oil-Cooler-Kit.html

I recently purchased oil cooler parts for my car from Improved Racing. They offer a Setrab style unit at a lower price point that has received good reviews.
If their oil thermostat is purchased, the oil cooler is 50% off.
http://www.improvedracing.com/oiling-system/oil-coolers-c-3_17.html

I went with a DIY set up as I wanted remote filtering, using an FL1A sized filter, along with ports to mount proper oil pressure and temperature gauges.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Remote filtering if you are doing that with the larger filter where are you placing the unit. I want to do that but with the accusump and the oil cooler I am looking at lots of lines and potential areas to create leaks and lower pressure which I can't afford. Also where do I place the silly remote oil filter. 2.3, factory battery location must remain I am lost for a good placement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts