Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the Ford Centenial in Dearborn, Focaljet member KCSVT attended the SVT Toy Box Tour. Later he said at a briefing he learned of their dismay that the engineering that went into the stock struts was being discounted with aftermarket upgrades. KCSVT please correct me if any of this is incorrect. Anyway he went on to say that a lot of effort went into making the stock strut and spring on different planes, and that the aftermarket were not. I'm not trying to start a discussion of the virtue of performance struts. I just haven't heard this discussed here and was wondering if anyone considered this. Also there is a Race Strut place that will dyno and rebuild a strut to your specs for $60 each. I wonder if this would be another alternative that retained the stock housing design??

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I am still running the stock shocks, but using the progress tech springs. I had no problem with the way it handled stock, but factory height on all cars is just too high.

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree on the ride height. I tried the Tein but the stock struts couldnt handle them. I didn't think they would. Loved the drop and camber they gave.
This is why I posted. I would like to retain stock struts, not for cost reasons, but design. I'll check into the rebuild place, $60, is what they charge us for Penske Race shocks, which are made to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The SVTF's handling speaks volumes about the job SVT did on suspension tuning. You'd be hard pressed to find a better balanced car, from a dynamic standpoint, at twice the price our cars cost.

Of course, for competition, there are better set-ups. But ride quality will be compromised big-time. Also, you should avoid installing lowering springs without the matching dampers/shocks. By not doing so, you effectively screw up the geometry of your suspension. It might look better, but it will not handle, or ride better. Just depends what you want.
~Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts