Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an '02 ZX5 focus. It's engine has 4 valves per cylinder (16v). I have never modified a car, but i was wondering if anyone can help me with any mods that will improve performance with horsepower, fuel economy, or acceleration. Thanks so much
i am new to this so ANY idea would be great

·
Registered
292 Posts
intake (whether it be a K&N drop in, or an aftermarket intake) and exaust would be the first things i'd do.. new throttle body, sct or diablo chip will give you some options, underdrive pulleys, the list goes on for miles. but the intake and exaust should be a good start to get you off the ground. be sure to check out all the forums, and read older posts too, there's enough info on here to be worth the servers wieght in gold.
and welcome to teh jet

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
I'll tell you what... FocusSport's SCT bumped up my HP, Torque, top speed (no limiter), accelleration, driveability (no EGR/DPFE problems) AND fuel economy, all in one fell swoop.

Talk to randy at www.focussport.com about the FS/SCT Chips or go to http://www.focussport.com/chips.htm

He'll hook you up.

If you need to know what your PCM Code is, Click here

If you want to see how to install a chip, it's not too bad, I have instructions here

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
intake (whether it be a K&N drop in, or an aftermarket intake) and exaust would be the first things i'd do.. new throttle body, sct or diablo chip will give you some options, underdrive pulleys, the list goes on for miles. but the intake and exaust should be a good start to get you off the ground.
Thanks for the reply but if you could maybe dumb it down a bit, i'm still not quite sure what all this means
a little more explanation and of what these options are would help a lot! thanks

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
K&N Drop-In: A replacement air filter made by K&N Engineering that it made of metal screen and cotton gauze, with oil to trap dust. It lets air go through the filter easier than the paper filter that your car came with. By "Drop-In" he means it's the same size and shape as your original filter, so you can just "drop it in" like you would a normal filter. Cone filters and aftermarket filters look and attach differently to the car, and usually look nothing like the original air filter. www.focussport.com also sells the ITG Pro-Filter which also fits in the original air filter box, but is made of oily foam. It also offers more air flow than the stock air filter.

Aftermarket Intake: Usually, aftermarket intake systems (usually called "Short Ram Inakes" or "Cold Air Intakes") replace the inefficient air intake tubing with a smooth metal or plastic tubing that is bigger in diameter than the original intake tubing. This design allows not only more air to go into the engine, but allows the air to flow more smoothly and evenly into the engine as well. These intakes are usually accompanied by a cone air filter, which looks like... well, a cone or a tall cylinder. These filters have more surface area than the original filter, so also allow more air into the engine.

The above two modifications help gas mileage and horsepower/torque by allowing air to get into the engine with less restriction. The engine doesn't have to work as hard to "breathe in" and so you get a little more horsepower. It's also just as important to help it breathe out, so you can buy high-performance parts to replace exhaust parts too. Those include:

Header: The very hot piece that bolts right to the engine, that takes gases out of the exhaust side of the engine.
This can be replaced with a better-flowing design that helps your engine "breathe out" easier.

Catalytic Convertor: Emissions-controlling device that traps and converts harmful exhaust gases. On a street-driven car, this component should be left alone!

Cat-Back Exhaust: The tubing that's after the cataltic convertor (cat), muffler, and tail-pipe are all included in these kits. They further enhance your engine's efficiency, but usually increase the noise your car makes.

Chips: These are computer programs that are on a circuitboard . You install them to your car's computer and it changes the way your car acts. From the factory, your car's computer runs the engine and other parts of the car a certain way. Performance chips such as the FocusSport/SCT change the way the car runs. There are many options, but you can usually expect better horsepower and torque, the ability (or necessity) to run on 91 octane or higher fuel, and sometimes, better gas mileage, firmer shifts for automatic transmissions, and other features.

Underdrive pulley: This replaces the pulley that turns your accessory belt, with a smaller pulley. It turns the accessories (alternator, water pump, A/C) slower than normal, which puts less drag on the engine, and therefore allows more horsepower to make it to the wheels.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
292 Posts
thanks for the explaination axon, i was just gonna check back in and see how the thread was goin, i got to thinking after i posted that i may have been a bit vague on my reply, i definately appreciate it

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
As Ax0n said, the only thing that's really proven to give a rather enormous boost in MPG is a new tune. I also have a FocusSport tune (though custom) and even with my blower and a rather heavy right foot, I now am averaging just at 29-30 mpg for about 50/50 city/freeway driving.
Prior to that, I was seeing around 25 mpg. I still find it rather hard to believe every time I fill up.

I never believed it, nor did I think it would be a constant increase. But I was proven very wrong. No other single mod did anywhere close to this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts