Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with their fuel gauge not giving consistant readings? About a month ago I noticed that after filling up the needle barely reached the 1/1 mark. Last night I put in 11.6 gl and the needle only came up to the 3/4 mark. I've got an appointment for service tomorrow. Do you think the sender is located in the fuel tank?

·
Registered
128 Posts
1st time I've heard of this. No issues for me. Of course now that I say that...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ford has a service bulletin on Focus fuel guages. Apparently, it applies to any model. I had 2000 that would either show 1/4 or E right after I filled the tank. In several hours, it would finally make it to F. It was the sending unit in the tank.

·
Banned
1,599 Posts
I had that same issue in my '00, but no issues like that with the SVT. Where could I see what kind of bulletins/recalls Ford has out there? is there a website??

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have this problem with our 02 SVT. They put in a new sender yesterday and today the car is in the shop again. The gauge is worse now and the car reeks of gasoline odor, you can even smell it in the car while driving. We made them bring us a loaner at work and take the car away (60 miles from home)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Ford store here in Huntington Beach replaced the instrument cluster and solved my problem.

·
Registered
355 Posts
This is the only item I have on my fix list for warranty work (after having the CAT heatshields, a seatbelt retractor, the stereo head unit, and a frozen wheel stud replaced at about 7K). When I gas it up with a full tank of premium, it registers 3/4 on the gauge. But, the 'empty' reading seems right. So, it is a minor thing to me. Just waiting for anything else to crop up before taking it in.

·
Registered
355 Posts
... and, as I've posted before, my '00 Mustang GT had far more serious issues (clutch and t/o bearing) that took 3 trips to the dealer and a complete replacement of the flywheel, clutch, and t/o bearing before 8k miles. So, I'm taking this in stride.

·
Registered
242 Posts
ZIPYSVT,

You are lucky so far. These same Mustang issues you just mentioned are cropping up for quite a few SVTF owners.

I know one owner in my area who had all that stuff replaced before 10K miles (and I read about it plenty online).

The dealer gives a hard time on tranny issues (no matter how young the car), so I feel you. That really sucks.

My fingers are crossed for all of us on that one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My fuel guage was sticking in my 02 and when I took it in, they replaced the sender. I told them it was the guage cause you could bang on the dash and it would come unstuck. Of course, they didn't listen. When I picked up the car, the guage stuck as soon as I turned on the ignition. I showed them so they finally believed me. They've replace the cluster and no problems to date. If they would have listened to me to begin with.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts