Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have a clogged fuel pump, well I mean hopefully I do. I have been having experiancing some problems that fit the symptoms of a bad fuel pump. Nonethless I would like to change it.

I tried checking the price of a fuel pump online but was unable to find one. Does anyone know how much I will be ending up spending for one?

I also would like to know how-to or what are the steps to take in changing the fuel pump? Such as do I have to remove the fuse or empty the fuel line. How long will this little maintenence job take on average.

This is for a 03 SPI with 79k.

Any information can help.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I have no idea what the cost is on the pump.

Changing it isn't all that bad. Not all taht fun either but hey, better then paying someone to do if for you. Just make sure your tank is close to empty to ease the job a little. Also if your not using a lift and a trans jack, be sure to have an extra set of hands when you tackle it. No need to pull the fuse, just release the fuel pressure at the fuel filter, disconnect filler and vent necks, fuel and evap lines and drop it out. Oh yeah, be SURE to replace the fuel filter at the same time too. Good luck,

Scott

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replaced the filter a month ago (approx 2k miles ago). Wow. seems like it takes a bit of work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey wait! take the fuel pressure reading before changing it.
If you don't have a gauge go a garage. Maybe its something else. The 2003 models have the re-designed fuel pumps. Taking down your tank and paying for a pump cost time and $$$$$$$$
good luck

www.bluewhippet.net

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
yeah. for sure, check the pressure.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked with my friends who are techs at my local Ford Dealership. The informed me that it couldnt be a fuel pump problem becuase a CEL would be thrown if there was insufficient pressure.

They believe I have dirty injectors.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Theirs lots of problems that never give you a CEL. And some that do give you a CEL aren't very useful because once you look up the code it's something totally different. What are your symptoms. I could be wrong but from the hundreds of people who had bad fuel pumps I don't think many had CEL's. How many miles? What maintenance have you done?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Talked with my friends who are techs at my local Ford Dealership. The informed me that it couldnt be a fuel pump problem becuase <u>a CEL would be thrown if there was insufficient pressure.</u>

They believe I have dirty injectors.
Dealerships are funny. I have seen many Foci suffer fuel starvation and no CEL. You have an '03 so you should have the new designed pump; but that is not always the case. The recall for '00 and '01 pumps has been around for a while but the new design came out 7/03.
Get your fuel pressure checked first.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
I never got a CEL when my pump died.

check the pressure, that will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I removed my MAF harness as suggested from a FOCALJET member to see if it was my MAF that was acting. Which was fine for about 30 minutes. Did some Drivablity test, was on the highway slow lane constant 65mph then went off into the stop and go of the city. It was fine, so I made the call to my local Autozone, just as I got of the fone with them guess what happened? It STUMBLED and died. However it wasnt as agressive as before it still had the same symptoms.

So going back the same route I disable the DPFE harness, so now both the MAF and DPFE are essentially unplugged. It ran fine again for 10 minutes then viola did the same stuff.

So not my conlcusion is, it most likely not the maf or dpfe. but there is still a possiblity it could be a EGR problem correct?

I pray its not a vacuum leak or injectors ($70 each).

Any ideas?

My friend who works at a Mazda dealership (way more experiance than the other two guys I know that work at Ford) was telling me that my symptoms that I described to him could be a number of things. Vacuum leak, Injectors (which he doubts), Fuel Pump (which he doubts), dirty MAF, DPFE, EGR, Cracked intake tube, Cracked coil, Plugs (which i already replaced), wires, PCM, etc etc.

There is only so much I can do at home with limited tool, the best would be to run a WDS (diagn.)

Untill I take it in tomorrow what else can I try?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Unhook teh vacuum line on the top of the EGR and plug it with a golf TEE or bolt or anything, and see what happens.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts