Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking at a MSD inline fuel pump. I could go with another stock one how ever I just want to go with something more reliable.

Before I actually go and pick it up is there anything I should keep in mind?

Also just curious what is it like to install one?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Are you on that infamous "Ford Focus fuel pump recall"?

If you're not going for anything hardcore, I would stick with the new Ford fuel pump. After changing my fuel pump my car was bit torquier and so far its been 2 years since I've changed my pump and my car runs fine.

Plus as they say, there's nothing better the stock. In this case the statement is true 100%.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My focus is a 2003 so i figure my fuel pump never did have a recall or did it?? I been haunted with the stumbling, putting
Even with after new plugs, wires, fuel filter, new tb gasket and still. Cant be the DPFE since I got all that stuff disabled with the EGR setting on my flash.

I figure I might as well upgrade it with an after market one if I plan on boosting it this winter.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent datalogged yet. But so far it seems to stutter only in 2nd and 3rd at lower rpms. I will do some datalogging tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the same issue with my 2001 ZTS...no CEL, no codes...stumbles and hesitates and loses power between 2-3K particularly on the freeway and under partial throttle.

·
Hacking The Box
459 Posts
well my car got the the fuel pump recall done on it one year ago and now a year later its [censored] up again when i go up a hill gose slow as hell when im at 1/4 an tank or lower hit also hals the times ben driving has no power at all went to a machanic and hew thinks its my fuel pump

·
Registered
231 Posts
That doesn't sound like a normal fuel pump problem. It does however, sound like a typical EGR problem... especially if you're going between 45 and 60mph.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That doesn't sound like a normal fuel pump problem. It does however, sound like a typical EGR problem... especially if you're going between 45 and 60mph.
By the way, what about the EGR control valve and hoses leading to it? One hose leaves the EGR valve and enters the EGR control valve, whilst another leaves the EGR control valve and heads down south and behind the throttle body somewhere...the termination point resembles one of the ignition coil ends actually. Any clue as to where I can find that hose set? It's all one piece...

Here is a pic of the EGR control valve:

Thanks for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts