Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put those in 4 days ago and when accelerating my car begins to slightly buckle as if I had wet plugs! The spark plugs were changed too. They are denso iridiums. Wonder if it's just the spark plugs. Car has major top end and I don't see how it could have been from the installation of these items but this is the first mod I can actually feel. The plugs are properly gapped at .065! Any help is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here it goes. I went ahead and bought a new set of oem motorcraft double plats. Chucked the brand new iridiums and not only did the stumble go away but I have like 60% more torque than with the iridiums. I guess the iridiums were just not going to cut it with this coil pack and wires. Car is now at 110%...And feels great! Beware teh iridiums and screamin demon coils! Wow those iridiums killed my torque by like a good 60 percent...and yes both sets were gapped at .065

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
How do You gap plugs? Do You wedge the gapper tool in there to achieve the gap or do You adjust the ground electrode to achieve Your gap?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the round gapping tool that lets you slide the plug around until you hit desired size then pull out and re-run it to make sure it's as perfect as possible...Got a new prob though, My livewires keep coming loose at the coil during hard driving. I am bitter at the fact that those livewires don't hold as tightly as I would want them to!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Actually, that is still the wrong way to gap plugs. Even with that tool You need to use the hole where the key chain would go through to adjust the ground electrode to the desired gap. This tool actually isn't a keychain either, it is just a cheap replacement for a spark plug gapper.

What happens when You wedge the tool in there to get the proper gap is You end up pushing the center electrode down into the plug and crack the porcelain which will render the plug useless. Yes it is very possible to have a crack and not be able to see it.

I would guess that was the problem with the Irridium plugs.

As for the wires, try sliding the boot further up the wire, then make Your conection at the coil then slide the boot down over the coil. If this still doesn't work, then try and adjust the clips that hold the wire into the coil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts