Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been around the boards and looked at what other people are doing.

Basically it's a bad idea to do just a MAF remap and larger injectors. You would also need a custom chip, is that correct?

Just making sure that's what I understand.

What chip tuners do you recommend on the west coast?

Pectel would be nice, uses too much budget...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
That's one way to do it, yes. The Pectel (as you said) is the other recommended method. There are other ways that are either frowned upon or laughed at.
For sake of discussion here your best bet is to stick with the mainstream solutions.

I don't really know of anybody on the West Coast, let alone anybody on the South-West coast, that can tune a chip. You may want to check with Tom, though. It certainly sounds like he's gotten reasonably well with doing mail-order tunes (re-cal'd MAF, higher flow Injectors, custom chip as a package from him if you're doing a home made turbo). You'd still need a trip or two to the dyno to verify that it's all working right (A/F primarily).

Also, there's at least one group of former (or present?) Ford-educated guys that travel around and re-program computers for people. A search should turn up their name and web site. They may be coming to the LA area sometime soon (or sometime around whenever you'd need their services)

Alternately, you could find a good shop with a dyno that can competently tune something like the Uni-Chip (in place of a chip) on a Ford (Focus in particular) and then combine it with larger injectors and a re-calibrated MAF. You'd have to mess with the timing quite a bit as well as the fuel curves. Some will argue that the Ford computer will learn around the Uni-Chip, but it (or something very similar) is what Tom started with on the Focus I believe. So make of that what you will.

Me, if I ever do my own turbo setup, I'll probably take a bit of what Jackson did on the SVT SC, a hint of what Aerocharger did with their SFMS, stir in some J&S and a few other bits, and see what happens*.
Won't be cheap but will probably be cheaper than the Pectel, and easier to tune (though not nearly as flexible/powerful).

Good luck with whatever route you go!

*Note that spefic brands and/or products will be substiuted in some cases.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Charles, I was considering doing something on my own.

I just wanted to make sure it was a good option. I know Tom is selling a MAF, Chip, Injector kit. There some Mustang tuners around here, but I'm not sure how many have done forced inducted Foci.

Going out of state is an option. I'm just looking at some of the more affordable turbo systems out there and what would it take to go beyond the basic kits output.

So we'll see...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lou -

I already contacted Fordchip about flashing the Duratec engine if I got one of those. I saw they also did custom chips, so I leaning in that direction.

Its not that tough to get a rough tune and maybe send it back for a slight adjustment. I have access to a dynojet with Wide Band and I also have access to a Mustang Dyno which could help dial-in the part-throttle fuel and timimg maps.

I like the kit choices out there for the Focus. The only downside none of them are smog legal. With the Vortech being available very soon also, it clouds it up a little more.

Without getting into another debate about the turbos over the supercharger, I've only seen one person run a Vortech at high boost on a car. It was a Honda Civic with a B-series swap and this was about 4 years before Vortech released a kit. But they still used the same V5 model the Focus kit, Cougar/Contour kits have.

They ran it around 20psi and the car ran high 10's over 130mph back in 1998.

So I know the Vortech will do it on a 4 cylinder, just enough people haven't seen it to believe it. I've seen it, so I know it's possible with just a pully change. That car had a front mounted intercooler.

Anyway, I just like this option with the Focus is you can go with a chip, MAF and some injectors and get pretty close, just not the ulimate adjustabilty of the stand-alone like the Pectel.

How's your car running Lou?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The last tuning fordchip did was make the car more driveable. The a/f ratio at wot is still too rich, so I am going to buy wide band 02 sensor unit to see where it is at. I might try adjusting the a/f ratio with my e-manage. The svtf ecu takes 15min to reflash plus the time for them to figure out what they need to do. It basically takes much longer to tune a svtf than a zx3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts