Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
your ECU is getting reset every time you shut the car off. Check battery connections and maybe do a search in team tech. I know you're not the only one that had this happen.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
its the negative cable take it in for that recall/or do it your self check them close

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
your battery voltage might be low at startup too

this happened to me all laster winter, didn't happen all summer, know that it is getting colder again in the mornings it has started happening again. I think I'm going to have to save and get a backup hawker before it actually gets real cold out.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Re: Full Gauge Sweep at startup??

I seriously don't get why people are so excited over this...my car has done it since the first time I test drove it in June '02. The ECU is not resetting itself (if it were, wouldn't the trip odometer reset as well? It doesn't.), and as far as I can tell the battery is just peachy as well (the car starts!). I always assumed it was a complete gauge sweep to make sure all gauges are functioning properly, just like all the bulbs in the cluster light simultaneously on ignition.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

People get excited about it because it isn't normal.

If it suits you to leave it, then fine, but when my car was doing it, I fixed it, because things were acting all wonky.
In my case it was a loose battery feed and a blown fuse.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts

My car does the same thing, but not on every start up only on cold ones. Nothing else besides the sweep is out of the ordinary on my foci. Everything is functioning properly. I also had the recall from ford done.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
your ECU is getting reset every time you shut the car off. Check battery connections and maybe do a search in team tech. I know you're not the only one that had this happen.
When you check the battery cable check both ends. After I had the battery cable recall I started having ternimal corrosion problems then it wouldn't start one day. Turned out that the positive cable had pulled apart at the starter solenoid end. In the process it screwed up the ECU so they had to replace that also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts