Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is, a lamp I built using the flywheel, crank and cam from a 1961 Austin Healey 3.0l inline six. :screwy:

The crank had been under my dads deck for years and when we tore out the deck I had the idea to repurpose the old crank. I media blasted the crank and then welded the cam to the crank. I also performed a little patina magic to the cam and the black and galvanized pipe I used for the lighting fixture to give it a more uniform appearance and then treated it with Penetrol to preserve the finish. The lighting is courtesy of a pair of 40 watt Edison bulbs.

I have yet to weigh it but it has to be in the 130lb range. :)

·
I am Teds custom title. Not anything like the one
2,916 Posts
Legit the coolest lamp ever. You should market this and take orders, hit up some junk yards and bam, instant side business! I say this as a person who would order one of these from you :)

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Legit the coolest lamp ever. You should market this and take orders, hit up some junk yards and bam, instant side business! I say this as a person who would order one of these from you :)
Thanks, I do have some more projects in mind but I doubt I'd duplicate this one. As I said it's a good 130lbs and it's one piece so shipping would be difficult and expensive.

Pretty sure the next projects will be more along the lines of desk/table lamps.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I like it! My dad had a '62 3000, the only year with triple carbs. Said it was a PITA to tune, since cylinders 3 and 4 would either have one rich or one lean.

Drove that car to many SCCA races, and knew another guy who ran them. Buy broke an axel, my dad let him take the one out of his and won the race. Tried to give my dad the trophy (silver cup), but he refused it. My mom snuck it into her bag and gave it to my dad once they were home.

Apparently there was an SCCA loophole that would allow the 3 carb intake manifold to be run with the larger 2 carbs on them (1 3/4" barrels instead of 1 1/4 on the 3 x 2). He let the guy borrow his intake at several races. He'd drive to the track, let the guy perform the surgery then put everything back together to drive home.

After this became habit, he told the guy that with the money he was spending on new gaskets he could have bought his own manifold. I guess dropping that hint worked since the guy had his own 3 x 2 intake mani for the next season.

Only saw that car in pictures, but he traded it in on a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, which was a lot more car.

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dads Healey was originally a twin carb car, runs triples now. When tuned properly there really isn't much difference in performance between a twin or triple carb setup. The really fast Healeys run triple Webers.

The twin carb intake was one solid cast piece, the triples ran/run three separate manifolds. Guys base their carb choice on the build level of the engine.

-Steve

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Great lamp... even though it seems like a sacrifice of a venerable and rare-ish crank. It looks really cool. Good work!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow. That's amazing! I mean - you're so creative. I'd never think of anything like that... I usually dump my old parts - guess you have to be more open minded.

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great lamp... even though it seems like a sacrifice of a venerable and rare-ish crank. It looks really cool. Good work!
The crank was tossed under the deck for disposal because it was no longer usable. It had already been turned earlier in it's life. Same with the cam, it was a regrind and no longer useful in a running engine.

I'd have never done this with parts that could still be used simply because they are quite rare.

-Steve

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The crank was tossed under the deck for disposal because it was no longer usable. It had already been turned earlier in it's life. Same with the cam, it was a regrind and no longer useful in a running engine.

I'd have never done this with parts that could still be used simply because they are quite rare.

-Steve
Yeah, I was sure you and/or your dad wouldn't waste a good crank... it's just that there is this little mechanic sitting on one of my shoulders who whispers worrisome ideas in my ear at times. "Dang, there not making that stuff anymore. It's too rare, do you think it could still be usable somehow???" It looks like you found the perfect use.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Just don't drop it on your foot ever...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts