Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Champ Car Could Beat F1 in Performance by '07

By a coincidence of timeframes, Champ Car could be the world’s fastest road-racing series by 2007 according to one of its co-owners, Kevin Kalkhoven.

Speaking to Champ Car’s official website, the Australian confirmed that the CCWS should have an all-new technical package for ’07, one that should reach significantly higher levels of performance in comparison to today’s cars.

"Our goal is to make it more maneuverable and lighter while maintaining the safety aspects that are so important, and at the same time preserving things that are classic Champ Car, including the turbo engines,” he stated. "We are talking to three or four different manufacturers about the '07 car right now.

“It's also interesting that we potentially have the opportunity to be the fastest racing [in the world] because F1 is going down in power and has different tire rules. We can go up in power and maintain the ability to change tires.”

Next year, F1 cars should already come into the same power plateau as Champ cars, as 2.4-liter normally aspirated V8s will replace the current 3.0L V10s, reducing in about 200 horsepower the units which average about 950 horses this season. Champ Car’s 2.65-liter turbo V8s are restricted to 750hp, reaching 800hp when the “push-to-pass” button is employed.

In spite of its single-tire regulations, F1 will still be faster in ‘06, however, given its significant lighter cars. From ‘08 onwards it becomes anybody’s guess, as the “pinnacle of motorsport” is expected to debut its own radically different rules by then.

In the only track presently shared by both series, the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve at Montreal, Formula 1’s latest pole position was about five seconds quicker (1:15 vs. 1:20) than Champ Car’s.
Source: SpeedTV.com

·
Registered
234 Posts
5 seconds is a big margin to make up. It will be hard for Champ car to meet F1's level of aerodynamic development ($$$), even with the new F1 rules coming up.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Seems like the problems with karting exist also with Formula 1. To many decisions made by a sanctioning body, not enough decisions made by the teams and manufacturuers.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Yeah, but they'll still race on ovals.
We share one point of view Kris

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I still don't totally like Champ Car. No varity in the engine bay or the chassis or tires and what's up with that turbo button set up. I mean its cool but passing a person with a turbo button and a naturally aspirated engine are two totally different things (levels?).

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I think that push to pass button is a great idea. Unfortunately a majority of courses driven these days were not created with these types of advanced cars in mind. They aren't wide enough to allow good passing for these types of vehicles.
Passing requires that you stay very very close to the guy in front to allow you to pass on the straight. Problem is these cars are so reliant on certain aerodynamics and being that close is like being in a jet engines "jet wash" and can really mess up the aerodynamics of your car which slows you down, which kills your straigt speed. So the push to pass button allows that a car to stay as close as it can, and use it's button for a straight line acceleration when needed. And it adds to the strategy. I like the button. I dont want it in F1, but I like it in Champ.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I like the button. I dont want it in F1, but I like it in Champ.
That's pretty much how I feel.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still don't totally like Champ Car. No varity in the engine bay or the chassis or tires and what's up with that turbo button set up. I mean its cool but passing a person with a turbo button and a naturally aspirated engine are two totally different things (levels?).
Not sure what you mean, but to clarify, ChampCars are turbocharged "all the time". P2P simply also more boost for a metered amount of time. From 41.5 inches of mercury to 44 inches of mercury to be exact.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just my .02... F1 NEEDS to be the pinnacle of motorsport. That's the whole foundation of the series.

I HATE the 2 engine rule.
I HATE the 1 set of tires rule.

If they go too far with the cost containment then F1 will cease being "F1". I am not down with it. If you can't pay the cost to go racing then find another series.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just my .02... F1 NEEDS to be the pinnacle of motorsport. That's the whole foundation of the series.

If they go too far with the cost containment then F1 will cease being "F1". I am not down with it. If you can't pay the cost to go racing then find another series.
Agreed

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

Agreed
Agreed as well, but a series with only one or two teams with enough money to be competitive is not a healthy series.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts

Agreed
Agreed as well, but a series with only one or two teams with enough money to be competitive is not a healthy series.
True, but F1 is nowhere near short of teams right now.... Now that F1 threatens of slowing the cars to a crawl the teams are taking their money and proposing World GP. F1 should smarten up and only leave restrictions for saftey reasons as people love seeing the pinacle of motorsports stay the pinacle of motorsports....

·
Registered
766 Posts
I like the idea of restricting for the purpose of safety as well as for the limitation of driving aids. Now with that said, I think everything else in the aspect of the sport should be unlimited.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I would like F1 to jointly boycott the FIA and start their own program. IMO the FIA is the poison for F1. Let the teams call the shots!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
you know, Ferrari (i know you're talking about Ferrari) has only the 3rd or 4th largest overall budget. Toyota and Honda both pour a lot more money into their programs.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
All the manufacturers teams have the money. It's the privateers who have issues. I mean if your going to change the rules to bring the cars down to where Minardi and Jordan can compete it's useless. Sauber and Red Bull have the money but maybe not the research or the history.

I think this change for BMW taking over Sauber will only be good. It will life Sauber up and Williams will work to stay where they are. But they should stop the two engine rule and stop the 1 wheel per race.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
That would be a seriously sad day.

Don't get me wrong, CCWS is a good series with some interesting racing, but its too commercial, too much influenced by the people dream of the NASCAR dollars.

F1 is all about technology, strategy, ridiculously consistent drivers, and a little (sometimes a lot) of drama added in to spice things up. CCWS being an American thing, is too influenced by lawsuits and how to appease the lowest common denominator. Bernie can say things about women being domestic appliances, and people just say "that's Bernie... he's quite a character". In the US, they'd be sued, boycotted, and destroyed by a single comment like that.

The push-to-pass button was supposed to be a cool item, but last couple races I watched, they all used it up in the first lap or so. If you didn't use it off the start, you lost position. Plain and simple. At least make is so the P2P stuff is disabled until the 5 lap or so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts