Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to thank Gary for inviting me to "seat time" at Summit Point as I had a great time. Thanks also for the "ride along", nothing like approaching turn 1 (tight 90* right hander) at 110 mph to warm you up on a chilly fall day.

Now for the pictures:

In the Paddock

Waiting to go out

Turn 3

Turn 7

Leader of the Pack

It was so much fun even David Pearson showed up

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
hal thanks. the wife says those are the best pictures yet. better than the professionals took. great ride home had a twenty minute backup at woodrow wilson, rest was like two in the morning. stopped to eat and still was in driveway by seven, car still has no start on key. i,m going to tow it down to shop tomorrow. and that right front tire is toast. an hal anyone who helps push start the car three times deserves more than a one ride along.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Gary your car looks sweet I can't wait to get pictures of all of us on track at VIR!!

BTW what wheels are those?? I'm looking to get some larger ones that my stock 15's so my car can keep some of it's show while working on the go.

How prepped is your car? I see the cage etc have you relocated the battery or anything like that?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
those were the cheapest 17's tire rack had. they all weighed about 21 lbs. so i bought those. needed 10 wheels @107 a pop. i think they are now discontinued. as far as prep have been playing with the suspension mostly. brakes- porterfield carbonkevlar with goodrich lines. quaife, race seats and belts, cage and lots of little pieces. where i run, engine mods play too much havoc with class placement as in most places. i am already placed in classes that are ridiculous. can we say honda s200 w/sc or 5.0 mustangs. there are lighter wheels and tires (i run 205/40/17 kuhmo's) but at a large cost. as it was today i smoked one front tire and relegated the other to the spare pile. that said, i am happy with the choice to build this car. it is too heavy, unhappy at low revs, but today i really came to grips with the shortcomings and built on its good points. nothing like taking a poorly driven m3 on the inside of turn 9 at summit while running in 4th gear. i had the worst hp.to wt. ratio of anyone out there and still managed a few passes here and there. my sympathy goes out to harold an amazing driver in an s4 audi wagon(chipped, big turbos, 310 h.p.) and a good racing companion. he is a real gentleman. and as he said, old enough to be my father and i am 52. he held off a new gen vette w/500 h.p s/c engine until he lost his brakes in one and stuffed it big time. oh and i had to stick stock struts in tues night when i discoverd crack in right front spax. stock struts do not like intrax springs. am now going full circle and adding coilovers. this spring rate stuff is a bugger for a polack like me. and btw, this is all an interesting experment with me. never before have i tried to hustle a fwd car around a track until this car. quite a learning curve. no more trail braking allowed,or instant reversal occurs. its all on or off, no inbetweens allowed. and a kudo to hal. he was a great passenger. i did not hear him scream once. or maybe just twice. as i told him, i backed down a bit on the straight and the downhills (4,5,and 10). he was a great passenger. thanks for the pictures and very much the pushes to start the car today. the only picture hal missed (not his fault, near last lap of session) was the 69 merc cyclone stock car w/me behind it after he spun. ex-david pearson car w/503 ci. motor. that would have been an interesting juxtoposition. 69 merc stock car, 02 svtf following. old tech, new tech, cubic inches, vtech. hal, you know what, my fault. i could have driven across the pits later and had you take a picture next to it. god what i would not give for a brain. i guess euro you could say car is very prepped right down to window net (not used on track days) for what i do with it. it is prepped to scca road race standards sans log book right now.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Wow 4th gear....you must have some skills!! I'm trying to picture what sort of corner I could enter with enough confidence to be in 4th gear....hmmm I'm thinking it would resemble a straight more than a corner.

Since we can't take passengers out in our cars at VIR could I persuade you to take a few laps in my Focus? I'm really interested in getting as much info on setting up the car as I can and with your experience it would be a great help.

As for your coilovers don't over look Leda I love mine, now I have them working correctly. Racers Edge in Nashville is the US distributor.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Gary
I bought the same wheels- sport edition- mille miglia or some such. Found they were about 8 lbs heavier than the stock SVT and Contis
. Oh well. Looking forward to VIR. Nice to know I'm not the only product of the Eisenhower era

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
euro no great skills, just lots of laps there. go to almost all open days, nasa and emra events there, it is only about a two hour tow. it took to yesterday to start using mostly fourth on the track. and when i weighed wheels they were 21.5 lbs. would like some 13 lbers. but cost is an issue carrying a total of ten wheels. hope front end is straightened out by next event at summit, 11/1 and 2. oh i think those wheels are volants, something with a v. and euro i bench race tracks in my head a lot and at least once a week watch some in car video. at vir i can only clearly see to turn 11 in my head as i have limited time in lousy weather there. i will check out the no ride along. i thought they were allowed.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gary, I'm glad you were taking it easy in turn 5 since I was on the side that would have hit first if we rolled.

Euro, If you look at the "Leader of the Pack" photo, Gary is just coming into Turn 5 and the last car in the photo is entering Turn 4. The track drops rather steeply downhill from 3 to 5 and Turn 5 is about 150* to the left. You can see the track layout at Summit Point Raceway

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
hal thanks. the wife says those are the best pictures yet. better than the professionals took.
WHACHOO tawkin' BOUT Willis??!!!!???!!!

Hal IS a Professional!!!

Look at the Resolution for a minute, and you'll realize that this man is NOT Shooting Snapshots. (I wouldn't be surprised if he reduced the resolution for posting.... )
He IS a Photographer.
I've seen and been the subject of his work before, and his skills, while underpaid, are DEFINITELY Pro-Level.
I think he treats it as a Hobby, but he KNOWS what he's doing, and does a GREAT job w/ "Action Shots".
I HOPE to make it to the VIR Event, (If my cousin will still foot the bill as he's said...???) and I HOPE Hal comes down as well.
The man has a gift, and is a GREAT guy as well.
BTW, Congrats on having a good day documented by
"The MAN"

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
did not mean to denigrate hal. he is a retired teacher, i am a teacher on sabbatical. i meant that euroimage who has shot car a lot never caught shot wife thought worth buying. i was highly impressed by hal's equipment even though i could not catch a cold with it as i would not know how to use it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's really cool to see all you right coasters posting about racing and such.

I look forward to hearing how VIR went.

I think we just need to steal some of you guys for the left coast. =)

garyk or rheacer have you guys considered using data aquisition? (Knowing how much time you spend at the track and how meticulous you guys are about racing)

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
i am far from meticulous. most data aquisition over the years is seat of the pants for me. i know that goes against modern tech but i am an old dog. try to keep it simple. just try to aquire fun time. at eighteen i was going to be the next jackie stewart. now glad to wake up in morning. of course i get jealous as i watch harold up and down load info on a laptop between sessions.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Thats what I am doing now. I view it as primarily being a teaching tool to help me improve my driving. Then again being able to generate a track map is cool too (geek factor)

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
did not mean to denigrate hal.
I KNOW that, I was just teasing you, and complimenting Hal and his work.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
ok. i may be a little gunshy since a comment or two was misconstrued about vir and track days. hal is sending me some other shots and if wife can teach me will post. also finally ordered digicam so maybe can get shots at cms and vir to post. and have to add. got rest of pics from hal today.my god he is great. one of my racing buddies saw them and was very jealous. he just paid a lot for pictures that weren't as good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts