Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 95 Taurus with the Vulcan engine, the most mpg I can get is ~22 no matter how I drive. Miles are almost all highway, as I drive 34 miles each way to work, with most of that ~70-75mp. However, even when I drive 60-65mph mileage doesn't improve much, if at all.

What should I check first, besides air filter (new)? Plugs? Oil was changed about 1500 miles ago. I've had the car for ~2 years, and mileage has always been teh suckage.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
www.tauruscarclub.com

It could be tons of things. Check your plugs. Your wires. Fuel Filter. I think it is your IAT sensor that can get dirty. get a new Cap and rotor. All the regular maintenance stuff.
Are you the same Jibberish from the TCCA? Cuz I'm the same Jimmy
I'm morally opposed to that website btw...I dont like theft, especially by site "ownership."

Anyway, 22 mpg is about right. I doubt if you have any actual problems. A basic tune up might get you a little bit more, like 24 or 25, but that's really the upper end. I havent looked at my Taurus' window sticker lately, but if I remember right, it said something like 16-24.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Are you the same Jibberish from the TCCA? Cuz I'm the same Jimmy I'm morally opposed to that website btw...I dont like theft, especially by site "ownership."

Anyway, 22 mpg is about right. I doubt if you have any actual problems. A basic tune up might get you a little bit more, like 24 or 25, but that's really the upper end. I havent looked at my Taurus' window sticker lately, but if I remember right, it said something like 16-24.
How many Jibberish18's can there be in this world?

I knew it was you Jimmy from the TCCA but you never really said anything to me so I never really referred to you about anything. The TCCA is actually getting better now that Bob owns the site and Dan owns the server. I don't know what the deal was before I forgave and forgot.

I used to get a good 20-22 mpg on city driving in optimal performance. Highway isn't all that great in my opinion. You don't get 30+ mpg highway like they advertise...at least I didn't. Get the regular maintenance over with and get back to us. If that doesn't help then something is definitely wrong with your car. Because those cars are actually good with mileage when the engine is in correct working order. Vulcan engine rocks!! If I could I'd help you out. By now I know that car like the back of my palm.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a 97 Taurus beater and that one consistently gets 23 mpg, no matter how I drive it. Mine also has the Vulcan V6.

I think the fuel economy you're getting is really pretty normal. I actually think 22-23 mpg overall is pretty average for a car of that size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts