Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a demo 2005 ses with 3000 miles on it. The car is basically already broken it. My gas mileage for past couple of tanks is 20mpg with a mixture of city/highway. This is horrible for a small car. I don't drive it like crazy or anything. I'm wondering is this how it's going to be forever. To me a small car with only 20mpg is ridiculous. The gas posted for car is 26/32. Can you dispute this as an issue since it's so far off? Thanks for any info.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
That is a bit low, but since I don't actually have knowledge of your driving habits, it is hard to anaylse.

I'd recommend taking a long, slow freeway trip to see what the top end mileage is... then perhaps a dealer visit if that proves to be low as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree. 20 mpg is unacceptable in my book. I'm getting 22-23 right now (80% city/20% highway) w/an engine which is not broken in. I suppose this is about right considering the 26 EPA City rating and the use of AC. I'm real curious about highway mileage but I think 30mpg or better will be no problem. Must remember this motor has 130+HP/2700 lbs. curb weight and has really wide tires which I'm sure cuts down on mileage.

·
Registered
422 Posts
right now im getting an average of 24.5 mpg, but when i first had the pzev, i average around 18 mpg. but then again, when i first had the car i was still learning how to drive manual.

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts
I get around 25-30 normally...25 when I like to jump on it a lot. I get about 20 with the A/C on even if I never jump on it...so I don't ever drive with the A/C on anymore.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i get like 24-25mpg but that has only been since i switched to full synthetic oil....when i was using regular oil i got [censored] gas mileage....

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm getting 20 to 24 with my 100 mile round trip commute. Seems to have gotten worst with the summer and AC. But I do run about 75 to 80mph and run thru the gears hard. Hard not to with that SVT engine. :p

These gas prices are eating me up.

·
[FJ] Fail Brigade
4,986 Posts
if it has alot of miles it could be the fuel filter but seeing as it's a new car thats pretty bad but high temps, rpms and the AC on full blast contributes alot too

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry, but you may have to slow down. 70 to 55 is a 15% increase in MPG (in most cases).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was getting about 29 MPG in my '05 for the longest time, but then once I hit about 27K miles, it went up 3 or 4 MPG. I hadn't changed anything about the car or the way I drive.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Might consider a tune up, i know sounds funny for only 3k miles but just think who could have beat on the car be for you. Is there an engine light on?

·
Registered
146 Posts
i have a automatic 2005 zx5 with 1000 miles and i get around 20 mpg with the ac full bore (texas heat sucks) driving like a granny. 50% city 50% highway driving 100+ miles per day. Does the switch to full synthetic really make a difference? Where is the break in point on the duratec engine? 1000 miles, 3000 miles? more,less?

·
Registered
47 Posts
We own a 05' ZX5 S Auto/Air. I highly recommend an oil change. We had one @ 800 mi and the engine runs much smoother. Mileage is improving. You might want to read up on engine "break-in" procedures. Guess only, but my feeling the engine is broke-in around 5k mi. You should be getting better mileage.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am getting about 19 MPG, 5 speed zetec 2001 55thousand, I do drive hard though, the car should be getting about 22 in town 26 highway with my driving... time for an oil change me thinks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
i saw today that those EPA stickers are usually 15% inflated. 22/26 seems normal if youre driving hard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts