Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I saw the worst case of location dependent gas pricing I have ever seen.

I went to Pocono Raceway for the weekend. Getting off of I-80 heading for the track there is an EXON station about 100 yards from the interchange. Price of 89 octane (what I use) was $2.89.

Turn around and drive up the road one mile in the other direction and there are a WAWA and another discount station right across the road from each other. Price of 89 octane - $2.62

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts
About a week ago I filled up near my house in Lemon Grove (part of San Diego) for $2.69 for 87 octane. I drove about 50 miles to Carlsbad and 87 octane was $3.06. Carlsbad is a wealthier area, but come one...a $0.37 variation is steep!!!

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
I am wondering how high it will get. It's about $2.70 right now where I am for 89, and I'm sure it'll hit $3.00 since it is elsewhere... what is the breaking point where people will get fed up with it?

I mean, we need it, so we have no choice but to buy it no matter the cost. I don't understand why it is climbing, wish I knew how that worked.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
We should, but know that its not gonna provide immediate relief.

Has anyone else changed their driving habits? I try now to consolidate everything into one trip and always stay under 3500 RPMs.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
start drilling in alaska... F the animals
ummm it won't actually change anything.

here's the deal. the majority of our oil comes from the middle east. Drillign in alaska wont' affect that very much.

all the Alaska (and the houston, and everyone else) drillers have to do is undercut the OPEC price...by any amount at all, for their stuff to be bought over the OPEC stuff.

Say OPEC is charging 60 dollars a barrel, all the Alaska guys will do is charge 59.99 a barrel. You'll see an infinitessimal change in prices.

Because OPEC controls such a LARGE portion of the market, they won't get into a price war with Alaska, it makes no sense. The amount of oilt hey move to the US will only drop by 1 or 2% if that. There will be no incentive for them to drop their price. So OPEC oil will STILL stay at 60, and Alaska oil will be at 59.99 including a GIGANTIC profit margin going to whoever wins that contract.

There will be no competition because Alaska won't have enough marketshare to matter. it's sorta like the linux/windows situation. Sure there are peopel going over to linux, but not enough for Bill Gates to start dropping the price of WinXP.

so the fat cats that drill in Alaska will get rich over nothing. And you'll keep paying high prices.

Yeah we can drill clean and all that. But honestly, i'd rather we didn't drill in Alaska...not to save the elk and the bears and all that, but just to spite the oil barons.

Don't be their pawns.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
In Denver, Gas prices at stations right off the interstate are always higher than prices in town. I guess you are paying for convenience (and taking advantage of travelers who are not familiar enough with the area to go hunting for a cheaper station.) Seeing a 20-30 cent premium is not uncommon.

One thing I have noticed is that all the Shell stations have the same prices (albeit high) regardless of location. I sorta like that approach.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
This weekend I saw the worst case of location dependent gas pricing I have ever seen.

I went to Pocono Raceway for the weekend. Getting off of I-80 heading for the track there is an EXON station about 100 yards from the interchange. Price of 89 octane (what I use) was $2.89.

Turn around and drive up the road one mile in the other direction and there are a WAWA and another discount station right across the road from each other. Price of 89 octane - $2.62
You know the saying, "There's a sucker around every corner". A news agency reported an Arco in SF was selling 91oct for like 3.10 or 20, some hi number. Just across the street, it was 2.93. They asked the Arco attendant why they had it so hi, reason, "customers don't care". But they even went and showed a customer how much he was paying, he was shocked, he didn't even bother to see how much the gas was going, then they pointed out the other gas station, did he go there, nope, to lazy, so he filled it up.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Gas here is 2.95 for premium but I can go down about 4 Miles and get it for 2.87

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Gas here is 2.95 for premium but I can go down about 4 Miles and get it for 2.87
^^ u should see the diesel prices... its about $3.65 a gallon!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts