Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start up the car, there is a strong gas smell coming from my exhaust. It can be ok, since the cat isn't upto the working temps, and the car is running rich on the startup. Probably nothing to worry, or may be the cat is going south!?? also my milage is dropping, and engine become more noisy!?? any comments. Thanks in advance.

p.s. sorry, wrong forum, moderators please move to TEAM tech

[ 09-26-2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: sherych ]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Iceman, only question, should I wait, or is there a way to persue the dealer into checking it!?? Also I'll have emission test soon, may be wait for that one!?? in hope that I will fail, and then the dealer will have no choice.
by the way my only mod is a ford racing UDP.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
yeah I would hold out for your emission test...if it fails..go to ford for a new one...if it passes...go to ford and ask them to test it for ya.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again iceman, can it be anything else (i mean not the cat)??

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
When I drove from Cali to LRAFB my cat went out, ford replaced it but im still getting the same gas mileage (19-20 mpg) smelling rich even after the engine warms up. I only got the cat replaced in april and its already goining out? Oh well time for a race header

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Uh, the emissions tests in Connecticut have been put on hold until further notice since the State closed all the test facilities and if your car is at least a 2000 or newer you do not have an emissions test for 4 years.

So, don't hold out for an emissions test because when the new system is put into place you will now go to a shop of your choice, including dealerships, if these shops participate in the program and no longer to the former traditional State testing sites - go to the dealer now and don't wait.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Talking about odd exhuast smells "no beans involved" I find that when driving especially on PA turnpike between posted speed and well___. there seems to be a strong egg smell in car worse if I open window. Now I thought it may have been someone in front exhaust coming in so I have driven with re-circulating button on to. Even with vent closed windows up and no one around it still happens. It's a bit annoying any Serious thoughts please on this issue. Thanks ahead of time

Stay Focusedd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts