Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys. I have finally decided on all my exhaust components. If it helps I will tell you what everything will be. Edelbrock Shorty Pro Flo Header, Possibly Random Tech Cat, Bosal Flex Piper. Vibrant Cat back. Everything will be 2.25" diameter. Heres the thing. I was at Ford the other day and decided to order all the exhaust gaskets that I will need before hand so I can have them handy and ready when I install all this. NOw so far I'm kind of confused. I have already received 3 Round metal gaskets that are supposed to work from the header to the end of the flex pipe. And of course I got the gasket that goes between the header and the block. Now today I went back for something and the parts guy says their may be 3 more gaskets I need. They are "TRAPEZOID" gaskets. He says they may be needed for the flanges.

So my question is how many gaskets do I need? And what shape are they all? If I made something unclear or you need more info please let me know and thank you for looking.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
You're going to need a:
block-header gasket (This one is huge - you're not a moron
)
header-cat gasket (This is going to be kinda "triangle-[censored]" with one huge hole in the middle and three small holes in each corner)
cat-flex gasket (I think this is what they mean as the "trapeziod" ones. They kinda look like diamonds with a big hole in the middle and two small ones on the side
flex-exhaust gasket (This is going to look just like the cat-flex one)

I don't know why you got round ones. I'm positive I've never seen any round gaskets. I'm kinda confused on that one - maybe I'm missing something

Why did you buy new gaskets anyways? The you're going to have to modify the stock ones now. Think about it - the stock ones are made for the stock size diameter. You just up'd the diameter of the exhaust so those gaskets are going to restrict the exhaust flow since they are too small. You're better bet was to go to Pep Boys or something and pick up the ones in the right diameter.

EDIT: WHY THE [censored] IS THE WORD "-i.s.h" CENSORED???

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay Eggyolk. That's what I figured. I don't know why they gave me round gaskets. They are round O-Ring looking things with a hard shell and what seems to be a soft interior. They are perfectly round.....How am I suppose to get gaskets for the Focus that are made for the Focus but are 2.25" in diameter? I thought they would only make them in 2"?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
That's what I'm saying - you gotta go hunting

Trust me, you'll find some, but it can be a pain.
When I needed some 3" ones for my exhaust, I went to Pep Boys and asked them if I could go in the back and look through their exhaust flange gasket box. They usually don't care as long you look like you know what you're doing. A good trick is to get a piece of paper, put it against the flanges and use a crayon or something to get a stencil of the flange. Go to the store and find a gasket that will match the stencil.

You know I'm not really sure, but I thought exhausts came with new gaskets - but I'm not sure. Another thing I'm not sure of is the header-cat flanges. I have a race header so I haven't much experience with them. I'm not quite sure if those diameters are the same as stock - I mean they could be, but I think they would be larger thatn stock. Someone else can answer that for you, but I don't have a shorty. Because if the header-cat flanges are the same, then you don't have to worry about get new ones - you can use Fords.

Also, I know you've already paid for them, but Ford's exhaust gaskets are all copper. Usually you can reuse the ones that are already on their because they are good gaskets (as long as its the same size of course).

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'm pretty sure the collector gasket is a crushed metal "donut" that fits in a groove on the flange of the cat pipe. Thats how mine is...maybe it changed?

As far as the other exhaust gaskets go, you can easily get away with red RTV. This stuff seals quite well and holds up to the high temps. You could also use it as a header gasket as well, but I'd rather get the factory one for $9.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
if i can make a suggestion, you might wanna look at another exhaust. cuz my Vibrant, with no header/flex pipe, is LOUD. like, 9 times out of 10 i am louder than any other 4-banger with an exhaust, aside from the occasional Honda or Mitsu with those high pitched ones that rattle everything in a 3 mile radius.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
YOu can reuse the head/manifold gasket. THe new pieces SHOULD come with appropriate gaskets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts