Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building an N/A motor and was wondering if the stock head gasket will be sufficient or should I bulk up? If so, where do I get a better head gasket?

I am also using the Ford Racing Intake Manifold and would love to know what I should use for a gasket on this puppy ???

Thanks
Kev

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
This has nothing to do with gaskets, but just some info you NEED to know about the FR mani. You need to weld a piece of metal to it on the flange. I was hanging around in Steeda'a garage the other day and was checking out the FR manifold. On the driver's side top stud from the block, there's no hole on the mani flange to put on the stud. You have to have a piece of metal welded to it and drill a hole for the block stud. The Steeda mechanics said nothing good about it and in my eyes, it didn't look like very high quality. Also, the mechanics said gains were really only noticable above 6000 RPMs. I don't know about you, but I never go that high in the band. Just some info to help you out - Rick

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fel-Pro makes a nice selection of gaskets for the Zetec. I have installed the head gasket on a ZX2 and it looks very sturdy.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys - still I ask though, what are those running the FR manifold currently using? Anyone?

Kev

·
Registered
836 Posts
This has nothing to do with gaskets, but just some info you NEED to know about the FR mani. You need to weld a piece of metal to it on the flange. I was hanging around in Steeda'a garage the other day and was checking out the FR manifold. On the driver's side top stud from the block, there's no hole on the mani flange to put on the stud. You have to have a piece of metal welded to it and drill a hole for the block stud. The Steeda mechanics said nothing good about it and in my eyes, it didn't look like very high quality. Also, the mechanics said gains were really only noticable above 6000 RPMs. I don't know about you, but I never go that high in the band. Just some info to help you out - Rick
I have no clue what you are talking about.... Welding a peice of metal? i don't think the steeda guy new what he was talking about.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I telling you - I saw it with my own eyes!!
I kid you not, they had to weld a piece of metal to the manifold for that driver's side stud. The engine wasn't in the car, it was pulled, so I could get right next to it. Maybe Ford fixed the problem, but the Steeda guy said that this was the 2nd or 3rd one like that. I hope you got a good one (and have no idea what I'm talking about), because they said they had to go through a lot of [censored] to get it on that damn stud. So hopefully you got a good one and don't have to worry about anything I'm saying.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
Just get some gastet paper comes in Diff. thickness and cut your own (local parts store)

Yes the stock head gasket is better than anything else out there composit gaskets suck compared to the stock gasket

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts