Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why is it that 90% of the imports have a second tach. i've seen a couple cars on this site that have a tach and speedo, with the big tach and **** light in the left corner. im confused on why someone would spend money to get another tach? just my curiosity.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Welcome to the world of rice. Why you ask? Well the cars in Fast&Furious have them and PepBoys sells them, therefore it's a must have

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I prefer the stock tach.... I just wish I had a little alarm that would scream "shift, stupid!!!"

·
Registered
972 Posts
Originally posted by OmniFocus:
I prefer the stock tach.... I just wish I had a little alarm that would scream "shift, stupid!!!"

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Step one, Turn down music.
Step two, Listen to engine.

~Steve

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by NacronSE:
For real cars, the second tach is most likely more accurate than the factory one. For ricers, "the more and bigger tachs you have, the faster it goes."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do you REALLY think the stock one is Inaccurate??
The REAL Reason people who are serious drag-racers go with an Afterkarket tach, is because it's usually BIG, and mounted closer to "Eye-Level", AND they're too lazy to remove the original one.
I say that's silly.
You're driving in a Fricken' Straight Line!!!
How hard is it to look down at the Stock one??!!!

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Originally posted by Halo:
Step one, Turn down music.
Step two, Listen to engine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't listen to music while autocrossing.

The problem is that I really can't distinguish between 6250 and 6750... For those short stretches where I'm not sure if I should bother going to third gear or leaving it in second and riding the rev limiter, it would be somewhat handy.

On the street, I never have a problem, because I'm not revving the piss out of my car.

[ 05-26-2003, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: OmniFocus ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Omni,
Care to explain how to "Ride the rev-Limiter"?

That's one thing I envy about Hondas.
In Them, You CAN "Ride the Limiter".
In Ours, when you hit the Limiter, it Stumbles on its face.
That's why I want a 7300 Limit on my chip.
It'd be perfect for those "Just too long but not long enough to shift" straights, PLUS my chip has the car still pulling pretty well in those Upper RPM.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
Omni,
Care to explain how to "Ride the rev-Limiter"?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know if all Focus ECUs behave the same, but my JFA8 just bumps smoothly up to 6750 and stays there... It is so smooth that the course workers probably can't even tell I've hit it.

The DiabloSport rev limiter is a little more violent I noticed.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Mine acts like a momentary Fuel Cut-Off....
It won't just hang and bang up there.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by AnythingButAFocus:
The best transmission for AutoX has to be the CVT. Just slam on the gas, it will figure it out.

Monster Tach's are gay.

Andrew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wow, since when did they grow genitalia?

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Originally posted by OmniFocus:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No problem, just hook this up to a REALLY loud beeper! https://www.mpsracing.com/products/MSD/ig02i.asp

Found an adjustable one (on the fly)
https://www.mpsracing.com/products/MSD/ig02j.asp
Actually, I plan on hooking one up to a shift light, the stock tach is a little inaccurate, but it's good enough to tell me when I'm getting close to the shift point.

[ 05-26-2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: airforcefocus ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts