Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GC Coil Over/Koni\'s Install (pics)

Here are some pics from the GC coil over sleeve and Koni install.

Here is the Koni's, GC coil over sleeves, and the Eibach race springs. The perches have been cut off the koni's so the sleeve can fit over and rest on the lip.

you have to drill the stock upper rear shock bushing mount from 8 to 12 mm. I did not know this so be prepared! (Thanks again for saving me Slick!
)

unlike most setups the GC adjustable rear perch is ontop of the spring not below it

The springs are so short with the swaybar disconnected and the car jacked up you think "No way this is way too short"
Im still wondering as it seems like the lower you go on the rear the "looser" the spring is almost like it would fall out if you somehow took big air.

I was real nervous about how low it would be so I ended up looking like a 4x4

fixed it today but i think I would still like to drop the rear a little bit more. then again its lible to all get changed when I get the car cornerweighted.

Breakdown of steps as i recall them.
Rears first.
Jack up the car
Remove the wheels
Remove the swaybar endlinks
Remove the main bolt on the A-arm
Press down on A-arm and remove old spring
Remove the lower shock bolt
Remove the interior pieces
Remove the top shock mount (its one of those wierd ones where you have to hold the middle while you turn it
Drill the stock shock mount bushing
Put the stock dustcover/bumpstop on the Koni
Put the new shock in and attach the top shock bolt
Reinstall the bottom shock bolt
Attach the new spring perch to the top of the A-arm (there is a bolt you remove where the whole assembly attaches to the car)
Drop in the lower perch.
Set the new spring in plae
Re-attach the swaybar
Put back in the main A-arm bolt
dont forget to adjust and tighten the allen bolt on the adjustable collar on the sleeves.
Put the wheels back on
Slowly lower the car make sure to line the spring up before allowing it to drop all the way.
Once the car is on the ground check everything and tighten the lugs.

The fronts are the same as any front install with the exception being you dont need to use a spring compressor for the install of the new sleeves/springs. You do however need the spring compressor because you need your old shock/bushing/bearing (the rotating thing with the 3 bolts that go under the hood)

Jack up the front
pop the hood
remove the abs bracket
take the brake line out of the grommet on the shock.
Remove the main bolt at the base of the shock
Loosen the top 3 bolts.
Support the hub loosely (dont want it pulling on your CV joints or brake lines)
Push down on the bottom of the metal "boot" the bottom of the shock fits in. When it is loose remove the top 3 bolts and remove the unit.

Use the spring compressor to remove the spring and then impact or use 2 wrenches to remove the stock shock bearing.

Mount this to the top of your new GC coil over and koni. Set the ride height to about where you will want it now (as reference my front is on the 10th thread from the bottom) That is to say you can count 9 ridges up from the base of the threads to the collar. tighten the collar with the allen wrench.
Put the shock up and into the 3 holes
Loosely tighten the three nuts but leave some play.
Twist the shock and place it back in the boot
Reinstall the main bolt (Handy to have a jack to help put pressur or hold things while you do this)
Re-attach the ABS bracket and slip the brake line back into the grommet on the shock. Reinstall the wheel and lower the car to the ground. Once the car is on the ground tighten the 3 bolts under the hood.

(Of course this needs to be repeated for each side and you dont want to jack up each corner do both the front and rears at the same time and use jackstands accordingly.)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Re: GC Coil Over/Koni\'s Install (pics)

I just swapped to the GC rears and I was really worried that it was going to be really low but ended up being just what I wanted. For the money it's great to have all the freedom with spring rates and height.

·
Registered
631 Posts

I just swapped to the GC rears and I was really worried that it was going to be really low but ended up being just what I wanted. For the money it's great to have all the freedom with spring rates and height.
Jay - Thanks for the pictures! Why did you lower it, I kinda liked the SUV look!

Honestly, how is the ride with those 600lb/in springs? Does the suspension even move? I'm sure bodyroll is down to nothing.

EuroFordFan - So GC sells just the rear perch and springs by themselves? If so, can you please post-up their contact info!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well, I am going to up the koni stiffness a little to get rid of some of the bouncy bouncy i think. It's livable. The car stays planted. It's my butt that flies out of the seat on a big drop hehe.

I'll be able to tell you a lot more after sept 26th when I have her out on the track

Haven't gotten to do too much spirited driving with the setup yet. But Slickshoes followed me right after we put it on and yes body roll is pretty much nil.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

Yeah, come the Sept 26-28 Streets track days, we should have plenty of footage of Jay flogging the piss out of this setup. Better than the H&R coilovers? Hmmm... we will have to see.

ENZI- I feel awful. Those pre-drilled upper strut plates Jay mentioned... those are the ones I swore I'd send to you.
But I had Jay promise me that he'll get his set drilled out correctly and maybe you'll have them some time before hell freezes over

BTW- did you ever get those Koni's installed?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

EuroFordFan - So GC sells just the rear perch and springs by themselves? If so, can you please post-up their contact info!
I'm not sure as I got my kit used. I don't see why they wouldn't sell just the rears, since the kit is so custom anyway.

GC contact info.
Ground Control Suspension
Shingle Springs, CA 95682
(530)677-8600

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

If he is still in need of them I will work to get them drilled right away.

And of course it will be better ;p. Your spring rates are generic and none of you are cornerweighted. The real question is how much better will it be.

But I am handicapped by not having R compounds =/

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

unlike most setups the GC adjustable rear perch is ontop of the spring not below it
Actually both Bilstein and FK use the same adjustment technique on their coilovers.

The GC look like a nice set-up!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

And of course it will be better ;p. Your spring rates are generic and none of you are cornerweighted. The real question is how much better will it be.

But I am handicapped by not having R compounds =/
....I'm just stoked that someone has gone balls to the wall with the "stop [censored] around and get serious" combo.
I'm expecting it should have a huge potential to be quicker simply based on body control,subsequent camber control and undeniably sharper response to inputs. Keep in mind, though that those inputs have to be a lot better because there is a point-of-no-return with wheel rate and compression damping where the term "forgiving" doesn't apply much.

The H&Rs a do not come that close to crossing this line, they are undeniably a "serious street" set-up, and sacrifice a lot of "edge" to be just that. That's why those "generic"
rates, and particular valving where selected....they weren't pulled out of a hat.

Corner weighting is the ideal......but a bonus with the Focus is our cross weights are OUTSTANDING bone stock.....so you have to really screw up your corner heights to mess it up much. Of course, getting the cross weights dialed with you in the driver's seat is the no-brainer ideal.

btw.....as you alluded to, by the look of the rear spring length, I wouldn't do any jumping either

anyhoo.....way to turn it way up Jayman

·
Registered
631 Posts

Chris + Jay, Don't worry about the washers. I already installed the Koni's! Thanks thou

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well thanks for saving me indirectly anyway Henry!

Yeah Murph I am stoked
i need some R's!!

·
Registered
100 Posts

OK-I'm convinced that I'm going with the GC/Koni route. Where can I get these the cheapest??????

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

OK-I'm convinced that I'm going with the GC/Koni route. Where can I get these the cheapest??????
Honestly I am not sure who else will sell the kit the way I got it and let you pick spring rates.

I dealt with Louis at Rush Motorsport here in San Diego (619) 337-2979 (877) 884-7874

Rush Motorsport

·
Registered
100 Posts

Thanks, I e-mailed Rush Motorsports to see if they wanna do another deal like yours. If you dont mind me asking, jow much did you pay for your combo????

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I think there is some rule about posting price figures? So I will PM you.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

Yeah, Rush Motorsports did a good job grinding off the Koni spring perches, which to me would be a scary thing to do. Sure you could do it yourself, but to me, its worth getting a company that has done this countless of times before (they build spec Miata's which apparently also love this setup) take care of that mess.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

FYI.

I heard a lot of clatter in the left rear after a big bump or something I did night before last. I checked last night and the entire rear shock mount had come off (the bushing at the top that you have to drill out)

So make sure you get it on there tight!! We had some trouble with this since you have to hold the middle while you turn it. But Louis gave me a tip. Take a thin towel and put it inside some channel locks so you dont damage the aluminum (I scratched mine some not knowing this
) channel lock the center part (not the adjustor knob below it where it looks like you could put a wrench on it) then use a 3/4inch crescent wrench to crank the nut down on it. Heck of a lot easier with those channel locks

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I got that tightened up and actually adjusted the koni's 3/4 turn firmer from full soft.

Surprisingly tightening the koni's got rid of the "jouncy" ride I was having just like Louis said.

Its tight but the car honestly feels more comfortable to drive with 3/4 turns firm shocks over full soft

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

Surprisingly tightening the koni's got rid of the "jouncy" ride I was having just like Louis said.
When going "firmer" with Koni singles you're simply increasing rebound damping, so it's controlling the spring "extension" more, hence less ...er..."jounciness" with "more" damping

You notice intense rebound damping at the top of small rises.........a stock car's damping allows the car to go up and cradle the occupants, your Konis will have the car stay on the ground and the passengers get launched

1 - 20 of 31 Posts