Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not blaming anyone. Just my personal experience.

I got the idler while back (I can't recall exactly when). Within the first week the bearing siezed. I replaced the bearing and it was fine up until a few weeks ago. I had noticed that the bearing fit in the pulley looser than I liked,,, it took force to get it in, but basically hand pressure and a nudge with a rubber mallet was all. Steel bearing in Aluminum pulley that will heat up, I think the fit should be tighter. Regardless I ran it and it worked well.
Well I just pulled the pulley apart today and found that the pulley was spinning on the bearing, the bearing is in perfect order. Looks like something got between the bearing and the pulley, heat/moisture/debris/etc. So my pulley is dead and unsalvagable.
Two failures from the same part in less than ~8,000 miles is unacceptable in my book. So back to stock I go.

I will say that they sure do look nice sitting on a shelf. It's just the durability of the one I got wasn't up to par.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Had one on my Kona(now totaled). Maybe 5-6k miles on it. Mostly seemed ok except it had a little wobble to it once it was under load and spinning. Check to see if bolt needed be tightened more but it seemed ok. Wasn't contacting anything while wobbling so I figured not that big of a deal. Did help with the belt walk I was having after t-belt swap. Couldn't get tension right to keep belt from walking lol. So since I didn't have that long I can't say anything else. My zx5 I have now is quite aways from needing t-belt change but when it comes time I may try this again if I have the walk problem again.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I wonder if the problem comes from it being the only pulley fighting the forces of belt walk? The older non-Focus Zetecs had two idler pulleys, the second pulley is optional on the Focus. I wonder if two guide pulleys would help?

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a thread on the other site talking all about my T belt issues and I don't feel like discussing them further. I'm having a couple pulleys made. Have to see what happens once they are done.
But I do have the lower idle in place and it did not help one bit with belt walk. The problem, as I see it, is on the top side / cam gear area. There isn't enough room on the bottom end for the belt to walk, it fits with very little side play to the drive gear.

FWIW, I'm having a clone of the GC idler made to my specs and a new tensioner that is a fixed position, not an auto-tensioner.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Let us know haw your clone of the idler works out and cost.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Wondered about that too. Considering they(ford) had to of come across belt walk you would thought that the cam gears, or tensioner and idler could of had guides built into them. Also why a damn auto tensioner which is what causes so many problems.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Also why a damn auto tensioner which is what causes so many problems.
Ease of assembly and service. Manually setting belt tension is a waste of time and hence money that does nothing but introduce the chance for error, from the OE perspective.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts