Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G\'day :) Comments please on this Mod plan!

G'day Folks,

Will be picking up my ST170 shortly, and being the tinkerer that i am, i have already started to compile a list of bits n pieces for the car.

The car is to be a daily driver with the odd bit of track work on weekends (Circuit days, Motorkhana)....

So far i am thinking along these lines........i'd be grateful for comments and suggestions/advice

**** UPDATED ****

ENGINE

1. SCT Reflash
2. FocusSport Cold Air
3. Random Tech Cat (want to stay legal)
4. FocusSport UD Pulley kit

HANDLING/OTHER

1. Koni Yellows + H&R Race springs
2. Quaife LSD
3. VF Rear engine mount
4. Steeda short shifter

Comment away guys!

Cheers
Rob
Sydney AU

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Re: G\'day :) Comments please on this Mod plan!

I'd say you've got yourself a pretty good little list there.

Other things I may suggest are:

1. Steeda Short Throw Shifter.
2. VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount. (I'd say everybody loves this combination for smoother, quicker shifts and driveability - at least everybody I've heard from)

3. Stainless Brake Lines?
4. H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar to cure up some of the on-track understeer.
5. A focaljet decal.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Hawk has HPS pads but no HP Plus. Brembo has no listing for a focus 300mm rotor.

Out of curiosity, why would anyone in Australia ever buy anything besides a E49 Charger hemi-six? For shame.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

I'll second the Steeda Short Throw and the rear motor mount, definatly worth doing together.

·
Registered
887 Posts

I'll third the short throw shifter and at least replacement motor mount bushings. Both tighten up the car and make it more fun to drive. I would get them first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hawk has HPS pads but no HP Plus. Brembo has no listing for a focus 300mm rotor.

Out of curiosity, why would anyone in Australia ever buy anything besides a E49 Charger hemi-six? For shame.
Right you are

Will have to be Mintex or HPS pads and those slotted rotors from FocusSport.

Re: the charger, i love them but a good E49 commands big bucks these days
I trust you've heard those triple carbs in action

Thanks for the comments guys, i'd also be keen to hear if you think that other parts may be better than what i have listed.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Nope, I think you look pretty good there. Everyone seems to LOVE their tunes (especially Hypnotic's) and I would love to have an LSD - definitely good if you're seeing some track time.

For brakes - the stock pads are pretty good, even on the track, but I would look for some solid rotors instead of slotted. The EBC rotors from BAT are pretty good. ( BAT Inc. )

As for intakes, I personally would steer clear of a "cold air" intake because of the horror stories I've heard of people hitting puddles - but there are other's who drive thru snow with them, so go figure. I personally want the blue K&N Typhoon short ram for my car. Not much HP to be had either way - but a sweet sound from under the hood.

And if you can tune in the Konis with the H&R Springs - I hear that's a pretty killer combo. As long as you don't mind a bumpy ride. Check in the suspension forum - there's some guys that really know their stuff lurking over there.

G'day. (sorry, had to do it)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the great feedback Lads (and Ladettes??) LOL

I think i can live with the HR Race springs with Konis set at full soft (i hope).

Please keep the advice coming - i've updated the list

Thanks
Rob

·
Banned
1,031 Posts

quick ?

Will the Quaife LSD produce that much of a result for $1,150?

On the SVT

Curious if i should start saving

·
Registered
239 Posts

I installed a Quaife about 33,000mi ago and still think it is the best money I have spent on the car to date.

I did do the work myself but even with another $500 for labor, it would still be worth twice all the combined CAI's, under dirve pullies, throttle bodies, Ign coils, plug wires, short shift kits, and light weight wheels. No matter how much power you make it is useless if you can't deliver it to the ground.

And yes I do have suspension mods, a different tune,and a light weight flywheel (they rank #2,#3 and #4 in the best spent money catagory)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

I installed a Quaife about 33,000mi ago and still think it is the best money I have spent on the car to date.

I did do the work myself but even with another $500 for labor, it would still be worth twice all the combined CAI's, under dirve pullies, throttle bodies, Ign coils, plug wires, short shift kits, and light weight wheels. No matter how much power you make it is useless if you can't deliver it to the ground.

And yes I do have suspension mods, a different tune,and a light weight flywheel (they rank #2,#3 and #4 in the best spent money catagory)
when you did your LSD does it open you up in the area to get the clutch and flywheel at the same time?? been putting all 3 off but it would be good if they were doable all at once

·
Registered
239 Posts

Yes, Trans comes out to install the Quaife and while it is out is the perfect time to do the flywheel/clutch. Actually taking the trans out and putting it back is the big job, putting the Quaife in once the gearbox is on the workbench does not take more than an hour.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

Byron: I'm totally with you on your ranking there. Quaife made all the difference on corner exit. But I have to say that this is my all time favorite low-cost mod:

<font color="red"> Link to Violent Ed's cruise control bracket for an aftermkaret wheel!</font>

Nathan is the man!

·
Registered
239 Posts

WOW that is funny, looks just like the one I made for my car. I did not know anyone else had done this!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

cool thanks for that info, I guess if and when i feel up to a change in clutch Ill do it all at once, I havent any problems /w stock rt now so I think Ill leave it alone :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts