Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.6 Ford Focus, purchased new in July 2008.
Last night the shift stick became locked in the drive position.
Consequently, I can't remove the ignition key, nor restart the car. I can't move the stick into the manual position either.
The "check engine" light is on.
Help!
Any ideas please?
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The problem is now fixed, quick easy and no cost!. For the benefit of others - I there is a silver decorative sleeve below the main black part of the gear shift lever. This had slipped down a few mm (it was not obvious), preventing the lever being moved. It was a simple matter to push it back up again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem is now fixed, quick easy and no cost!. For the benefit of others - I there is a silver decorative sleeve below the main black part of the gear shift lever. This had slipped down a few mm (it was not obvious), preventing the lever being moved. It was a simple matter to push it back up again.

That was it!

Thanks a lot for sharing this.

It also happened to our 2009 Focus 2.0 TDCI also.

Previously I had checked all transmission/powertrain fuses before --> all ok
The override switch at the gearbox didn't help (also it would only unlock the lever from the "P" position).

Being an engineer, who has been able to help himself out of technical bother on many occasions, I don't think I would have noticed the sleeve cause.

I'm sure the Ford Dealer Workshop (here in Sydney, AUS) would have exploited this and made a major job (=money) out of this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1.6 Ford Focus, purchased new in July 2008.
Last night the shift stick became locked in the drive position.
Consequently, I can't remove the ignition key, nor restart the car. I can't move the stick into the manual position either.
The "check engine" light is on.
Help!
Any ideas please?
Thanks
Your post just saved me a fortune. Got stuck in drive but just managed to forcibly move the gear shift.
Got home and read your post - Bloody marvelous - thank you so much
Tony

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this the same thing just happened to me and I read this and it saved me a call to the AA. Really appreciate you taking the time to update

1 - 6 of 6 Posts