Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Inked Hotness
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no, i didn't get into one, but i was wondering because i was debating with a friend about this.

if you rear end someone, and they hit the car in front of THEM as a result... are you responsible for paying for the rear end, AND the front end?

·
Inked Hotness
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
892 Posts
yea, you are respondsible for both cars... though they might get a failure to leave a safe distance ticket

·
Inked Hotness
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm... i could have sworn that the person that hit the other car was responsible...

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
At least in California, I'm 100% sure that it is the rearmost person's fault.... my boss went through that about a year ago.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
no, i didn't get into one, but i was wondering because i was debating with a friend about this.

if you rear end someone, and they hit the car in front of THEM as a result... are you responsible for paying for the rear end, AND the front end?
It depends on why you hit them. You're required to drive "defensively" enough to be able to avoid hitting someone if they are forced to stop due to an emergency or something. In Arizona, if someone tints their taillamps or uses blackout covers, that could make THAT person liable if they get rearended because it's altering the safety equipment if you tamper with the stop lights. If your brake lights don't work, that can also make you liable if you get rear ended.

Then there's always the insurance scammers. People who get themselves rear ended on purpose to sue the insurance company for thousands of dollars.

In most cases, yes, the police will charge you with fault, but there are those circumstances....

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
At least in California, I'm 100% sure that it is the rearmost person's fault.... my boss went through that about a year ago.
A few years back I was rearended by someone who was in turn rear ended by a tow truck (with car hooked up). The tow truck company was responsible for both of us. Especially considering that the lady totaled the front end of her Suburban on my rear prerunner bumper!
(all I suffered was a bent bumper and some tailgate/rear quarter damage -- gotta love chromoly! )

·
Registered
715 Posts
hmmmmmmm, all i know is that in hawaii, you hit the person in the front of you, you're wrong and if they hit the person in the front of them, they're wrong (for being close)...don't ask me why, hawaii has some really stupid laws

·
Inked Hotness
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's what i thought happened in cali....

·
Inked Hotness
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another question...

if you are uninsured and hit someone, can they suspend your license?

·
Inked Hotness
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

anyone with some actual input on this?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
another question...

Yes. In fact, if you're uninsured, driving a car registered to you, and get a ticket for a busted tail light, you could have your license suspended.

It is a REQUIREMENT to have liability insurance in Cali.

(it is the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle to maintain liability insurance... so if you're driving someone else's car with their permission and they're uninsured... not your problem.)

California Vehicle Code Section 16070. (a) Whenever a driver involved in an accident described in Section 16000 fails to provide evidence of financial responsibility, as required by Section 16020, at the time of the accident, the department shall, pursuant to subdivision (b), suspend the privilege of the driver or owner to drive a motor vehicle, including the driving privilege of a nonresident in this state.

·
Inked Hotness
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
another question...

Yes. In fact, if you're uninsured, driving a car registered to you, and get a ticket for a busted tail light, you could have your license suspended.

(it is the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle to maintain liability insurance... so if you're driving someone else's car with their permission and they're uninsured... not your problem.)

California Vehicle Code Section 16070. (a) Whenever a driver involved in an accident described in Section 16000 fails to provide evidence of financial responsibility, as required by Section 16020, at the time of the accident, the department shall, pursuant to subdivision (b), suspend the privilege of the driver or owner to drive a motor vehicle, including the driving privilege of a nonresident in this state.
anyone know how long they suspend it for? and can it be used to get back and forth from work?

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
anyone know how long they suspend it for? and can it be used to get back and forth from work?
Ellie, got something you'd like to tell us?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
hmmmmmmm, all i know is that in hawaii, you hit the person in the front of you, you're wrong and if they hit the person in the front of them, they're wrong (for being close)...don't ask me why, hawaii has some really stupid laws

This is how it is in Wisconsin. I don't see why you would be responsible for both cars?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would say, most of the time the rearmost person would always be responsible. My dad was the middle man earlier this year. But theres no way he was following to close because he was at a stop sign.

·
Registered
645 Posts
BS. Ive been hit twice from people with no insurance. Both were minor. However, the cop just cited them for not having insurance. Then let them drive away. Yup you heard right. I watched both people drive away. You just get cited and have to show proof you took out insurance. If, its a serious accident or even an injury. It might be different. Im not sure. About the question from the first poster about this thread. You are responsible for both cars. My friend just went through that.

another question...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts