Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Question about Ford ECU\'s

I recently converted my vct zetec into a normal zetec by replacing head with a fr head.

It runs but not so hot, doesnt like to start up very well and almost feels like im hitting the rev limiter randomly while driving sometimes.

I believe this is due to the vct and due to the fact the VCT zetec cam position sensor is on the exhaust side, whereas the focus is on the intake side.

My question is this, Can I run an ecu from a different car without screwing everything up? Are all Ford EEC-V pinouts the same for all zetec equipped cars? Anyone done anything similiar?

Another problem I run into is my car is a return style fuel system. Contours had regular zetecs before 98 could I run one of their ecus safely? my car shares the same chassis and what not.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Re: General Question about Ford ECU\'s

you should compare the exhaust cam mark to the intake cam mark of the focus zetecs. If they both mark the same timing event in the same way then that isnt your problem.

all EEC-Vs of the same generation use the same pins, however, some circuits will be depopulated on certain models. There is also slight variation between the models made by Motorola and the models made by Vishay(?). What I mean is, there could be 5 PWM drivers. they all work the same way so Vishay could use a different PWM driver for the fuel pump than a motorola unit. The only compensation necessary by Ford would be to change the addressing in the Micro.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: General Question about Ford ECU\'s

The vct exhaust cam I believe had three triggers although smaller, where as the focus of course only has one. Im kind of researching my symptoms and all things are pointing to the maf maybe going berzerk.

It kind of idles crappy (althoug I do have crower 2's so a raised idle wouldnt hurt). Im going to recheck timing.

But looking around on different websites is talking about the maf. My bad symptoms are that on deleceration it wants to die unless i give it gas, maybe raised idle would help.

But the biggie is sometimes it doesnt want me revving over 3900 yet other times it will. If you can get it passed the 3900 mark it runs very well.

And also at about 75 percent load it fells like you are hitting a rev limiter. But that only happens sometime, so Im confused lol.

Because of it running so good and not misfiring Im thinking the cam position sensor is working fine though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts